Cutting Edge: Dangerous School for boys

No seriously.... serious issues in here please..

Moderator: Moderators

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Cutting Edge: Dangerous School for boys

Post by LittleTill » 25 Jun 2007, 13:31

Anyone else watch this:

http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsi ... chool.html

i was quite astounded at most of it and the naive beliefs of the Founder. Also felt that it was quite wrong some of the things they insisted on. Also when showing someone how to kill a rabbit you'd think that they might have got someone who had actually done it before to do it so the lads knew what they were doing. And all because the bloke is a failed priest
Lip up fatty

Alka
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Alka » 25 Jun 2007, 14:16

I didn't see it, but I saw them interview them and two boys on This Morning and they were like (asking one kid) "How do you know about Colditz at your age?"
It just seemed a funny question.
It was that really camp one who goes "It's like a cross between Hogwarts and Colditz". Blessim.

I didn't think he was a failed priest I thought he was a priest and just moved to le France.
I gave up morals when I took up booze

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 25 Jun 2007, 14:33

he trained as a priest in england and was told when he came to the end of his training that he was called to be a priest but not in that diocese. That kid who said about hogwarts and colditz was actually spot on with some of the other things he said in that film. Like for example - "I don't think its right to not teach us about other religions because how are we supposed to fit into our culture back home" (i'm sure thats paraphrased but contains the vital point of his comment).

All in all it seemed very unprofessional I certainly wouldn't send my kids there and I'm quite concerned by how the school isn't subject to any controls on its curriculum. I do take the point that the national curriculum is possibly the worst thing to ever happen to british schooling. However i do feel that there should be some control over what is taught in a school. if only to make sure that kids are taught the essentials they need to live in this country - esp trolling.
Lip up fatty

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 25 Jun 2007, 14:45

I'm split down the middle about curriculum. I think there should be a consensus reached on a level of maths, reading and writing that should be reached, but everything else I think should be loosened up a little bit.
Happy now? :'-(

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 25 Jun 2007, 15:07

so you're saying that children shouldn't be made aware of humanities history. good and bad, surely thats a route to bringing about a new hitler for example. also i think that kids should be aware of and comfortable with religions because like it or not religion is a big part of this world. i have to say that as the level of education in this country isn't favorably comparable to some our european neighbours dropping or loosening up on it is a bad idea
Lip up fatty

Alka
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Alka » 25 Jun 2007, 15:28

Apparently they want to get Secondary school's back to more thematic teaching methods. I just can't see it working really, sometimes you just can't learn everything you need (for the exams) within one particular theme.
I gave up morals when I took up booze

Dannnn
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Dannnn » 25 Jun 2007, 18:06

Must be demoralising for the kids who would have been used to living a 'normal' lifestyle beforehand.