Colonialism

No seriously.... serious issues in here please..

Moderator: Moderators

standuptall
Cool Amoeba
Cool Amoeba

Colonialism

Post by standuptall » 26 Oct 2004, 13:17

Are you proud of Britain's colonial past and its Empire, or are you embarsassed about what British people have done through history?

Do you think that colonialism has benefited the ex-colonies or left long-term problems?

Views..

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 26 Oct 2004, 13:21

is this a BNP gimmick ?
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 26 Oct 2004, 15:28

Not really no, i think in many ways we were much worse than anyone else who had or tried to have an empire. The slave trade and such is a bit of a hard thing to live down, you know... when you think about it.

We are also responsibe for america too, we raped the american indian peoples ways and they are still paying for it... Maybe it is the viking blood in us all???

Anybody wonder why america is a fucked up place?

Well i can see two reasons:

1) It was colonised by our religious nutcases
2) They still teach creationism in some places in the deep south

Slightly off topic there...

But, i am not really proud to be English. When i was in Germany i heard some of the funniest slang for English people... We are known simply as Island monkeys!

:chuckle:
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 26 Oct 2004, 15:55

the Germans can go fuck themselves !
Last edited by Jumpin Jack Flash on 27 Oct 2004, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 26 Oct 2004, 23:09

I represent the apostrophy police, and would ask you to kindly remove that poor lost punctuation mark.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 26 Oct 2004, 23:42

i'm certainly not proud of being british, but then most of the time i'm ashamed of being human.

Asnivor
Slug
Slug

RE: Colonialism

Post by Asnivor » 27 Oct 2004, 00:08

Originally posted by standuptall
Are you proud of Britain's colonial past and its Empire, or are you embarsassed about what British people have done through history?

I'm neither. I can't change the things people who just happened to be born in the same country as me did years ago. As far as I can see, the fact that I live in this country is incidental. I don't really have any right to be proud or embaressed. It's like saying i'm proud or embaressed because I was lucky or unlucky enough to be born here. And that to me doesn't make a lot of sense.
Of course you should learn from history and feel for the people who went through it, but if your gonna decide to be proud of your country, you gotta live with all the shit it's done as well :)

Do you think that colonialism has benefited the ex-colonies or left long-term problems?

Probably both.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 27 Oct 2004, 04:26

Originally posted by Jumpin' Jack Flash
the German's can go fuck themselves !

I smell xenophobia!!! Try going there sometime, i think you will change your mind...
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 09:27

hmm yeh ill go to germany just because some gimp says so .
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

Critta
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by Critta » 27 Oct 2004, 10:05

I think he's suggesting you go to Germany to find out that your pathetic racism is unfounded and they're actually just as nice people as you would find in any other country in the world. ;)

Personally, I think that Britain as a country realised that it's empire was a bit fucked up, and since we started giving it back and formed the Commonwealth, we have done some real good for the countries which were previously part of the Empire. In short we fucked them over a bit and then we helped them, better that way than the other way round 'eh?!?

Anyone (or any country) can make mistakes, and slavery was just one of those things that was accepted in that day and age and as far as I'm concerned we're not entirely responsible for America, we also have Spain, Portugal, France and most of the rest of Europe to blame for that one.

If anything we should blame France for helping them win the war of Independance... silly bastards!
Last edited by Critta on 27 Oct 2004, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going back again, to earn the money
To buy the beers, to help me forget.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 10:10

Originally posted by Critta
I think he's suggesting you go to Germany to find out that your pathetic racism is unfounded and they're actually just as nice people as you would find in any other country in the world. ;)

racism ? if you read his initial post it says “Island Monkeys” , that’s why I told them to go fuck themselves. You people are too quick to argue against the point. ;)
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 10:11

just slang for another race, same way we call french people Frogs, they call us the RosBif (roast beef), etc. as I recall, you don't like South Africans either. ;)
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 10:12

get in your basket !
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

Critta
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by Critta » 27 Oct 2004, 10:25

You people are too quick to argue against the point. ;)

I wasn't arguing against the point, I was arguing against the constant tirade of meaningless bollocks that you feel the need to post on the forum.

The point I was replying to was the "I'll go to Germany just cos some gimp says so."

Firstly, he suggested you try going there, hardly telling you to do something now is it?

Secondly, he's not a gimp.

If you've got nothing even vaguely serious to say about the subject of the post (which is colonialism if you didn't bother to read it) then I suggest you piss off back to "General Chat" ;)
I'm going back again, to earn the money
To buy the beers, to help me forget.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 10:46

:chuckle:
Obviously you’re a close-knitted group of fuck wits, that feel the need to cover the back of someone you know on a FORUM, have you failed to realised that each of us has invented a stupid username to post under, thus making this faceless forum for people to type there views. This is not a family.

You are quicker to call someone a raciest than to support your own country, how do you get off telling people where/when/and what they should post about, I think all the comments you make are complete and utter bollocks, however you will not see me saying that at anytime, to anyone. Is it to win the debate or argument, or as a way of receiving gratitude even a pat on the back from your friends?
;)
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 12:00

it's not really faceless though, is it? I know the majoriy of people I speak to on here in real life. so does Critta.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

counterfeit
Snail Legend
Snail Legend

Post by counterfeit » 27 Oct 2004, 13:14

Dan :doh:
you never learn do you!
I'll find a new life and hide,
If I survive.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 13:31

Originally posted by counterfeit
you never learn do you!

this is exactly what im talking about, what is there to learn ?.. dont speak your mind because you may offend someone or one of there many friends ? I will not even start with you, as you are illogical and senseless so therefore it’s pointless to even perpetuate your argument.
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 13:56

you never learn do you!

this is exactly what im talking about, what is there to learn ?.. dont speak your mind because you may offend someone or one of there many friends ? I will not even start with you, as you are illogical and senseless so therefore it’s pointless to even perpetuate your argument.

Shocking how often I get to use this on here, really, but:

counterfeit
Snail Legend
Snail Legend

Post by counterfeit » 27 Oct 2004, 13:58

you never learn do you!

and you wonder why most people on here think you're a complete and utter cunt :rolleyes:
I'll find a new life and hide,
If I survive.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 14:00

it's nice to see him writing more than one sentence per post though.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 14:00

it's shocking how many time you've use it on me, and
it's shocking that you still think it's as clever and as humourous as it was the first time .
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 14:01

it's shocking how many times there's been cause to use it on you. i don't really think it's clever or humorous really, not even the first time. It's just a picture to illustrate a point. I use it whenever I see fit. excellent mind-reading skills though. :thumb: :rolleyes:
Last edited by chippy on 27 Oct 2004, 14:22, edited 3 times in total.

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 14:01

you never learn do you!

and you wonder why most people on here think you're a complete and utter cunt :rolleyes:

I REST MY CASE, and if people decide to judge other people purely on what they read on a forum then there not worth knowing anyway.
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 14:16

This is not a family.

SnailofSatan itself is not a family, no. But quite a few people on this board, and people in general, consider our friends as close as family, sometimes because we don't see our own families very often (if at all), sometimes just because of shit we've all been through together. Snail isn't some sort of strange alternative dimension where you can say what you like, or be as much of a prick to people as you like without offending them (although I'll admit I'm just as guilty of thinking like this, although if I do say something genuinely offensive to someone, I really don't expect them to ignore it) it's just another medium of communication between human beings. Like the telephone, or talking, just another way of exchanging words. So if you say something to someone that they'd find offensive in real life, why shouldn't they be offended if you say it on here? What's the difference? If Critta would jump to Vomitstain's defense if you did that in the pub, then why would he ignore it on here?

This isn't a "faceless" forum as you claim, I can put a face to most usernames on here and have a real conversation with them. you're not faceless to me, neither am I to you. In fact most people know your face.
Last edited by chippy on 27 Oct 2004, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 14:21

DISCLAIMER: I shall continue to be a nob on here as much as I like, I'm just pointing out that that doesn't necessarily make it right. And so, this time in my own honour:

Jumpin Jack Flash
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jumpin Jack Flash » 27 Oct 2004, 14:34

Ok I’ve read thru all that chuff you’ve typed, if we go back to my first point where all this bullshit stemmed from..
Mr Vomit said the Germans call the English “island monkeys”, which in itself is a derogative term, so I said, “the Germans can go fuck themselves”, blah, blah, blah.

Critta came along spouted off some stuff about me being raciest, the irony of it all is that this taking place in a thread about Colonialism, what did your friends that your so very quick to defend {suggesting everyone should visit there because the people are real nice} do? Has everyone forgotten already that they themselves tried to colonise the world less than fifty years ago!
SURRENDER TO THE VOID

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Oct 2004, 14:36

i thought Critta got the hump cos you called him a gimp, actually.

I'm not wading in on the colonialism debate, as previous stated, my historical knowledge is shite.

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 27 Oct 2004, 14:39

Originally posted by Critta

racism ? if you read his initial post it says “Island Monkeys” , that’s why I told them to go fuck themselves. You people are too quick to argue against the point. ;)

What the entire nation of Germany have called us Island monkeys? And masturbating is a normal part of life, so im sure alot of them do fuck themselves. I know I do.
Happy now? :'-(