Demonisation of drugs..

No seriously.... serious issues in here please..

Moderator: Moderators

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Oct 2004, 00:52

fair, but i beg to differ.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 28 Oct 2004, 00:56

ah shut up, you like ska :P

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Oct 2004, 02:45

heh, you lose.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Oct 2004, 08:47

Originally posted by metal_dave
- i might end up having horrific flashbacks or something until i died.
- i'd just rather not spend my final weeks up a lamp post or something, trying to get away from the giant firey rabbits.

^^^ This is what the government wants you to think will happen if you take acid.
Last edited by chippy on 28 Oct 2004, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Critta
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by Critta » 28 Oct 2004, 16:31

i'd just rather not spend my final weeks up a lamp post or something, trying to get away from the giant firey rabbits.

The effects of acid wear off after 12-24 hours with no further ill effect ;)

No lamp posts for you miladdo!
I'm going back again, to earn the money
To buy the beers, to help me forget.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 28 Oct 2004, 18:04

so everything i've ever heard about bad trips and flashbacks is bollocks then?

Critta
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by Critta » 29 Oct 2004, 12:06

I've had a bad trip. It was fucking shitty. I knew it was going to go downhill from something that happened and there was nothing I could do about it from that moment on, until I was out of the awkward situation, at that point it was pretty and spangly again.

I had one flashback to it, I was on a shiteload of mushrooms at the time and a situation similar to the one which started the bad trip happened. It was a bit shit too, but happened nearly a year later when I was on hallucinogens for pretty much the first time since. It lasted about 5 minutes, if that!

The majority of flashbacks are just pretty and happy (as are the majority of trips) :D

So not bollocks, but majorly overstated. It all depends upon mood, situation and company. If all of these are positive then you are 99% certain not to have a problem.

My advice, never, ever, ever, ever do acid when you have been drinking and are not in a safe comfortable environment ;)
Last edited by Critta on 29 Oct 2004, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

becky
Slug
Slug

Post by becky » 29 Oct 2004, 13:00

or just don't do it.

Critta
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by Critta » 29 Oct 2004, 15:34

We were actually talking of the hypothetical situation of one Mr Metal_Dave having 6 weeks left to live.

In this hypothetical situation I would advise him to do acid well before advising him to go anywhere near Smack or Crack... who wants to ruin the last 6 weeks of their life with an addiction to Smack... not me...

Just a personal thing really.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Nov 2004, 10:01

so everything i've ever heard about bad trips and flashbacks is bollocks then?

no, not necessarily. but massively exagerated. for example if it all went dramatically wrong, you still woudn't spend your "final weeks" doing anything. it'd last a few hours and then you'd be back to normal. secondly, the way people imagine the hallucinations to be like is just plain wrong. it's very difficult to explain if you've never been on it, but seeing firey rabbits that aren't there running about, well that's just not really the way it is.. it's mostly just a distortion of what's really there. and a flashback isn't really a sudden, intense hallucination that feels like you're somewhere, it's more like a strong memory coming back to you of what you felt like at the time, or a brief few seconds where everything will go all colourful, or a little pattern or colour will writhe up and out of something just for a second.
Last edited by chippy on 01 Nov 2004, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 01 Nov 2004, 13:36

Originally posted by Critta
I've had a bad trip. It was fucking shitty. I knew it was going to go downhill from something that happened and there was nothing I could do about it from that moment on, until I was out of the awkward situation, at that point it was pretty and spangly again.

My advice, never, ever, ever, ever do acid when you have been drinking and are not in a safe comfortable environment ;)

^^same as this. did loads of trips with no nasty consequences. Then one where the situation was shit sent me loopy. Bizarrely enough it was smoking pot after that kicked in the flashbacks, and actually all I mean by flashbacks was as Tom so eloquently put above, a memory of how I felt, unfortunately how I felt was utter panic.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Nov 2004, 13:41

Originally posted by Spangled
as Tom so eloquently put above, a memory of how I felt, unfortunately how I felt was utter panic.

i still sometimes get flashbacks to the time i utterly broke myself with mushrooms, and it is just that, a few seconds of remembering just how afraid and paniced it's possible to be. and for some reason usually everything goes a bit scabby concrete tower block as well... fuck that was a horrible trip. *shudder*

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 01 Nov 2004, 13:53

Originally posted by Lord_Blacknose
as Tom so eloquently put above, a memory of how I felt, unfortunately how I felt was utter panic.

i still sometimes get flashbacks to the time i utterly broke myself with mushrooms, and it is just that, a few seconds of remembering just how afraid and paniced it's possible to be. and for some reason usually everything goes a bit scabby concrete tower block as well... fuck that was a horrible trip. *shudder*

I don't wanna harp on about this, but in my case it was the situation itself that created the panic, the acid just making it 1000x times worse.
But it's the same thing fundamentally, so I'll shush.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Nov 2004, 13:59

exactly. about 50 to 60 people, many of whom we didn't know got invited back to our house, mainly by someone who doesnt live here. and all just as i was really comming up. at which point i promptly broke.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Nov 2004, 14:03

when was this?

was this on mel/humby's 21st?

tripping + people you don't want around* = fucking nightmare

*especially if it's Scary Pete and he's ALSO tripping. terrifying.
Last edited by chippy on 01 Nov 2004, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Nov 2004, 14:04

that sounds about right. not entirly sure now...

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 08 Nov 2004, 00:05

i heard a story today, from a reliable source, it goes like this:

this girl does some acid on her 18th birthday, it's the first time she's done it, she has a bad trip and vows never to do it again. 2 years later, on christmas eve, she has a horrendous flashback, during which she wraps her 3 month old baby in tin foil and roasts it in the oven, thinking it's the christmas turkey.

now i don't care if that's a true story or just some kind of 'shock tactics' made up by 'the man'. it fucking works.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 09:18

from a 'reliable source' how? as in, they know the person it happened to? or they saw it happen? if it's not something like that, I don't believe it.

and I maintain, flashbacks just don't work like that.

if her flashback caused her to roast her baby like a turkey, does that mean her original bad trip was about roasting a turkey?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 09:23

there's also the possibility that she was a closet psycho with a deeply buried desire to kill her baby, which the acid flashback triggered. but 2 years later when it's not in her system anymore, I doubt it. it's more likely she was a baby murdering psycho who decided "acid flashback" would be the perfect excuse. the police/papers will lap that up.

perhaps I know nothing, but even whilst on a fuckload of acid, I have never been in a state or seen my friends in a state where I would do anything like that. and I've seen certain people take fucking shamanic doses.

my vote is: she would have done it anyway. crazy people shouldn't do drugs.

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 08 Nov 2004, 14:10

Originally posted by BrassMonkeyTom
but 2 years later when it's not in her system anymore

?? scientific backup to this statement please :)

I know a guy who cut the shit out of himself trying to cut maggots out from under his skin, almost bled to death...

roisin
Snail High Preist
Snail High Preist

Post by roisin » 08 Nov 2004, 14:11

Ooo I heard about that one, I think. Can you say who it was?
Holy crip he's a crapple!

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 14:13

Physically speaking, not in her system anymore. I can't google for it on work computers so I'll find it later, but an independent study involving LSD treated with radioactive isotopes so it could be tracked via X-ray, all physical traces of LSD had left the subjects system within 48 hours. The collecting of acid in the spinal column is a popular myth linked with a similar urban legend involving strychnine.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 14:13

I know a guy who cut the shit out of himself trying to cut maggots out from under his skin, almost bled to death...

on acid or as a flashback? how long after, etc.?

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 08 Nov 2004, 14:18

erm, bugger, I forgot that was the point, actually I think he was just wankered...

*goes back to bed*

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 14:20

:D

I could quite understand that happening whilst fucked, I've seen plenty of bugs under my own skin and know that if I were two more trips gone they'd probably be freaking me out..... I just think that anyone who roasts their baby and blames some 'cid they took 2 years previously probably had it in them in the first place.
Last edited by chippy on 08 Nov 2004, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

Drinkidge
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Drinkidge » 08 Nov 2004, 14:34

I don't get it.
We're supposed to assume that she's happily christmas preparing away and suddenly finds herself tripping, but rather than going "ooo hang on a minute, I'm tripping" continues merrily to get the turkey (baby) out of the fridge (cot) STUFF IT (!!!) and pop it in the oven (because surely if it had already been prepared it would be there, probably closer to the oven than the kid, and tripping or not, hey, "I know I'm not gonna put this in the oven, NO..." )
What a load of bollocks.
This is the sort of story made up by people to find out how gulible we are.

People shouldn't make up stories like that, it's mean, I was roasted as a baby...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 14:42

Thankyou. :D

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 08 Nov 2004, 14:44

Old wives tale that baby cooking thang in my opinion. Especially not from a flashback. In my experience, I think you'd need to do a hell of a lot of acid to hallucinate to that extent anyway. Different for everyone I guess but I've done loads of it before and I've never hallucinated even remotely like that.
Regards,

Jim

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2004, 14:44

"now i don't care if that's a true story or just some kind of 'shock tactics' made up by 'the man'. it fucking works."

no dave. if it's some kind of "shock tactics" made up by "the man", then it doesn't fucking work, does it?
Last edited by chippy on 08 Nov 2004, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.