8 string guitars

All musical instruments, guitar / bass / drums / tri-angle / decks / amps / strings / plectrums .. (Will split into seperate forums l8er)

Moderator: Moderators

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

8 string guitars

Post by elliott » 23 Oct 2008, 10:31

Anyone got or played any 8 strings that they were really impressed with for the price? I'm looking at getting one within the next couple of months and possibly flogging my 7 string Apex. So far I've had a go on the Blackmachine 8 and RG2228. Where as the blackmachine 8 is by far the nicest guitar i've ever had my hands on, for a small deposit on a house i dont think so... I've also been looking into the ESP LTD FM408 but haven't played one yet. recommendations anyone?

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Re: 8 string guitars

Post by JimmyBlind » 23 Oct 2008, 12:17

That Vae Victus dude had a wicked fanned fret 8 string blackmachine I think. Maybe ask him.
I've not played an 8 string personally and I don't think I'd really get on with it anyway. That said, I don't think I could really benefit from the massive range it offers either. I'd probably just string two guitars differently and use them both.
What will an 8-string offer you that your 7-string currently doesn't?
Regards,

Jim

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 23 Oct 2008, 12:24

it will give the impression of a larger penis/wallet
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 23 Oct 2008, 14:11

I uploaded my very first you tube video the other day. I am exceptionally proud of myself. I'm gonna try & sort out some piano & classical guitar stuff aswell.
I feel I have to share this with you all for my own egotistical satisfaction.

Regards,

Jim

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 24 Oct 2008, 15:17

^ nice dude, how long you been playing for btw?

i want to go heavier mainly for slow tempo groove stuff but dont fancy sacrificing any highs. My apex is currently tuned to G, so could just put heavier gauge strings on and tune it down to F and keep it i suppose (i'd love to hold onto it the things a monster). On the other hand, i'd be more than happy to part with it if i could find an 8 for a good price that played like/better than the apex. A friend of mine has went on holiday so left me with his 8 string RG for the past 2 weeks, but have to give it back this sunday :(

chippy wrote:it will give the impression of a larger penis/wallet

get out of my thread you utter cock

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 24 Oct 2008, 15:32

:spliff:
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 24 Oct 2008, 16:48

If It was me, I'd stick with my 7 string, tune it down & use a standard guitar (which I assume you have) to record your high sections. The only bummer, although not massive, is that you'd probably have two different sets of pick ups and, essentially, tones. Although you'd probably mix your low-end rhythm sections differently to your high leads anyway. I'm under the impression that you aren't currently playing in a live band. If your work is primarily done in the studio then it's probably unneccesary to buy an 8 string guitar. You'd only be paying big bucks for the privilege of doing everything on one guitar rather than two. I'd personally save my money or spend it elsewhere in the home studio. If you look at your home set up, there's probably something you could upgrade or add to better your productions.
I only say this because I've confused buying things that I 'want' rather than 'need' and then not had enough money to buy the things I genuinely need.

Been playing Classical Guitar since I was 7 although no where near the standard I was towards the end of my teens. Piano since I was 10 and ditto.
Picked up the electric guitar in about 2001 when I joined Blind To and taught myself from there.
Regards,

Jim

CerpinTaxt
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by CerpinTaxt » 27 Oct 2008, 10:41

I've never been a fan of 7 or 8 string guitars, they look a bit funny and geeky. Although i miiiiiiiiight try a 7 string for our new stuff, but i don't think it's necessary.
I tune down to F in some new stuff i've written and that's on a 6 string.

If you're going for low groove but still want highs, then alter your tuning, not just standard or dropped lowest string, that's what i've done.
Are you really going to need the whole range of notes inbetween a low G and a High E?