electric drum kits

All musical instruments, guitar / bass / drums / tri-angle / decks / amps / strings / plectrums .. (Will split into seperate forums l8er)

Moderator: Moderators

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

electric drum kits

Post by metal_dave » 12 Apr 2008, 12:08

i've always quite fancied learning to drum, but i don't have the space for a proper kit, and i don't want to get bummed by the neighbours OR the landlord. so basically, are electric kits any good? how much would i have to spend to get a half decent one? tell me what you know.

Badmummajamma
Slug Trainee
Slug Trainee

Re: electric drum kits

Post by Badmummajamma » 13 Apr 2008, 13:11

Most of them are just toys.

If you're a total beginner then something like the Roland TD-3 is cheap and will do the job but you have to spend thousands to get one that sounds nice and is decent to play.

Also, if you live in a terraced house or flat even an electric kit is going to piss your neighbours off. It just makes a loud tapping noise (especially the kick pedal) which some neighbours might find even more unbearable than real drums.

I got an irate monkey knocking on my door at 10 in the evening threatening me with all sorts of violence if i didn't shut up - while i lived in a terrace in Portsmouth.

Problem is, if you learn on an electric kit and then want to go acoustic you'll find it really difficult making the transition because electrics are much easier to play and bounce more.

Bottom line, forget drums and take-up the keyboard or something instead.

If you're serious about learning to drum, buy an acoustic kit and take it to a rehearsal studio once or twice a week.
Visit http://www.hansolomusic.co.uk for your RDA of Rock.

Alka
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Alka » 14 Apr 2008, 00:31

Badmummajamma wrote:
Also, if you live in a terraced house or flat even an electric kit is going to piss your neighbours off. It just makes a loud tapping noise (especially the kick pedal) which some neighbours might find even more unbearable than real drums.

Quoted for absolute truth.
I would rather him have a real drumkit and make 'that racket' than hear those horrible plastic bangs.
ARGH. Driving me steadily insane.

ALTHOUGH I do live in the same house as said drums, so it's probably worse. Maybe.
I gave up morals when I took up booze

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 14 Apr 2008, 12:55

If you want electronic drums then go for ones with proper adjustable mesh heads as opposed to the rubber pads. They're alot better for muscle memory, just drop the tunings down depending on the sizes. everything I learn on electric transfers over to acoustic pretty nicely.

I'm using a roland TD20 and once you download Vexpression kits it sounds stunning and has a good feel, but there's no such thing as a good cheap electric unless you're gonna do a DIY job on an acoustic kit, and if you're not willing to do that then expect to pay anywhere between 3-4 thousand for a kit with mesh heads.

I'd recommend just getting a cheap acoustic kit and fitting them with centered triggers and mesh heads and putting them through the brain then an active speaker, that way it will be quiet only when you need it to be quiet.

And don't buy rolands overpriced amps, get a mackie SRM and it will blow it away.

Go to http://www.vdrums.com there'll be alot of people there who're willing to help you out whether you wanna buy an electronic or make one yourself.

mamba
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by mamba » 06 May 2008, 13:44

I've got the Roland TD-3 and bought it for exactly the same reason. It cost me about £350 second hand from what I remember. I just use it with headphones and was a good help when I made the step to a 'real' kit.

They are noisy though as already mentioned. The people in the flat upstairs used to be forever banging on the floor. I think I have driven them out now and the new people haven't complained at all.

Also, I have smashed the shit out of the cymbals and they no longer work very well so hardly use it now.

mamba
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by mamba » 01 Jul 2008, 11:55

I'm thinking of selling mine now. For a number of reasons:

1) I need the space
2) I'm saving for a real kit

Will throw in additional crash cymbal, DW bass drum pedal and stool.

Yours for £220 ono.

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 02 Jul 2008, 10:14

i'd go for this dave, considering the brain on its own costs more than this. not to mention its only sacrificing a few trips to the pub for years of smiling like a twat.

i'm currently in the process of getting more CY14/PD125 cymbals and drums for mine :D i fucking love roland.

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 07 Jul 2008, 17:46

is this kit still for sale? a mate of mine might have it

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 07 Jul 2008, 18:15

yeah i haven't got the room really, we've already got a sodding baby grand piano in our living room that barely gets used.

looks swish though.

mamba
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by mamba » 09 Jul 2008, 19:09

elliott wrote:is this kit still for sale? a mate of mine might have it

Yep.

I would stick it on ebay but a local sale would be much easier. Feel free to come and have a look if you're interested.

One of the cymbals is a bit intermittent, but I've got an extra one to the standard model anyway.

This is what you get, plus an extra cymbal...

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 14 Jul 2008, 12:45

Has Elliots mate had away with this? If not then my mate would be interested.

Mike 07837113003

Cheers!
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk