Through necks

All musical instruments, guitar / bass / drums / tri-angle / decks / amps / strings / plectrums .. (Will split into seperate forums l8er)

Moderator: Moderators

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Through necks

Post by chippy » 29 Feb 2008, 08:58

Can they be replaced? I pulled my SG Special out of its bag at practice yesterday, to find a huge crack through the neck, just under the headstock (it fell over at the end of the brass monkeys set on saturday, I didn't notice the damage at the time). I'm fucking gutted. If the neck can't be changed, I guess the guitar's fucked. Which is gonna be both tragic and expensive. Anyone know?
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Re: Through necks

Post by filsatan » 29 Feb 2008, 11:25

Lance dropped his Gibson Les Paul and the neck snapped just under the headstock (that was a face i've never seen pulled before 8o ). He managed to get his repaired really well, he said it plays exactly the same. I can ask him where he got it fixed if you like mate?
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 29 Feb 2008, 11:54

I imagine it'd be pretty similar to the face I pulled, sounds like the same injury to me.

Be wicked if you could ask him where, I don't fancy shelling out for a new one, but I'm worried it won't sound the same with a join in the neck :(
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 29 Feb 2008, 11:57

Well, his is fine and panicked his arse off too, as you can imagine, so don't lose hope! I'll find out from him and let you know. :thumb:
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 29 Feb 2008, 12:00

Nice one.

This is the first serious guitar damage I've ever done, and it just HAD to be on the nicest guitar that I've ever had, and for the least amount of time.

What's really gutting is that I brought a stand to take to gigs, for the simple fact that I only play guitar about half the time with the monkeys and I was trying to prevent exactly this from happening.

My back was turned at the time, and the whole band maintain that it "just fell off". I'm not so sure.

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 29 Feb 2008, 14:26

Do you think it jumped :oogle:
Happy now? :'-(

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 03 Mar 2008, 15:19

Any news Fil?

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 09 Mar 2008, 11:23

Sorted.

TobyDNA
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by TobyDNA » 20 Mar 2008, 12:50

Aren't SG necks glued on, not though neck? Pretty sure they are. If so, it's a pain in the arse but it's possible to change it. Take it to a shop and get them to do it.
Fnord is an apostrophe on drugs.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Mar 2008, 12:57

I've no idea mate. Apparently I can get it sorted through Stick and Strings, which I'm gonna do once I've got my car sorted out as that's higher up the list.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Mar 2008, 14:32

I wouldn't give up hope Tom. Fucking your neck up's quite a common occurence. Is it a Gibbo?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Mar 2008, 14:36

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Mar 2008, 14:42

I have one of these ; Image

Gibson's are a fuckimg work of art. Luckily, i've never damged it badly. There are a few chips here and there, only on the back, the finish is still perfect. This picture isn't mine, but it could be. I have a chip on the neck exactly like this one. The little knocks here and there give it charecter I think. I can remember where each one came from, kind've like little memories. Must be gutting to damage it badly though. ;( Nice piece of kit you've got there.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Mar 2008, 14:47

that's a beaut. mine's got a fair few dings in it from gigging and stuff but none of it really shows up because there's no paintwork to chip.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Mar 2008, 14:53

It is a beaut. Took me time to save up for it. It's so fucking weighty, I used to get a numb shoulder everytime I played a set longer than twenty minutes. I like the weight in a weird way though, makes it feel more...special. Mine hasn't got the scratch plate on though, it came with it, but once you've drilled the holes into the body then that's it, there's no going back. Plus I think it look's better without it. Did you have that SG when we did the suck monkeys? For some reason I have memories of you playing it when we rehearsed in the Lock-Up, but i'm sure you were on bass for that? That was fucking gay, I reckon we could've made a really really good band out of that if we hadn't been completely fucked around at the gig and got pissed off with it.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Mar 2008, 14:54

ps, dont ask me why but the volume knobs on SG specials are sex.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Mar 2008, 15:04

Nah I didn't have that guitar then, I had an sunburst Epiphone Les Paul. Still got it, it's a bit shit though. Only had the SG just over a yeah. It's the opposite to yours, it barely weighs anything and it's really really thin, which I love. Makes life a lot easier when you've got like 7 other band members crashing around to try and avoid on stage.

Suck Monkeys woulda been awesome with more time and practice.

I played bass for the Suck-Ups songs and guitar for the Brass Monkeys songs if I remember correctly.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Mar 2008, 15:13

Yeah, it was a bit of a hotch-potch effort. We had good intentions though. I did, and still do, blame Howards Ego for everything.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Mar 2008, 15:18

phillip_banks wrote: I did, and still do, blame Howards Ego for everything.

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 28 Mar 2008, 10:12

TobyDNA wrote:Aren't SG necks glued on, not though neck? Pretty sure they are. If so, it's a pain in the arse but it's possible to change it. Take it to a shop and get them to do it.

I dunno about the specials, but I know standards are

Charley
Slug
Slug

Post by Charley » 28 Mar 2008, 10:36

chippy wrote:Makes life a lot easier when you've got like 7 other band members crashing around to try and avoid on stage.

Funny you should say that - my baby has NEVER suffered any scratches, nicks, dings, buckle rash....nuffink.........while I used it in rock and metal bands - and I used to chuck it around on stage quite a bit (as you do.....).....but since last Oct, my headstock looks like it's just been on a date with Saddam!

:guitar:
Cast a vote
Take the blame
Torn from the mother
Feel no shame
Close your eye
Watch with the other
His arm is loaded
Could be your brother

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 25 Apr 2008, 10:11

Well my baby is in the hands of that fella at Sticks and Strings, who seems fairly confident it should be as good as new. Hopefully getting it back at the weekend.

Charley
Slug
Slug

Post by Charley » 25 Apr 2008, 10:45

Oooooh - that's cool news!
Cast a vote
Take the blame
Torn from the mother
Feel no shame
Close your eye
Watch with the other
His arm is loaded
Could be your brother

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 25 Apr 2008, 12:40

chippy wrote:Well my baby is in the hands of that fella at Sticks and Strings, who seems fairly confident it should be as good as new. Hopefully getting it back at the weekend.

Hey! You did it!

Dont worry mate, like i said, nicks les paul is perfect, cant really see or hear anything has happened.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 25 Apr 2008, 12:43

Aye, bloke explained how he does it to me and it all sounded pretty good, he reckons I'll probably not even be able to see the join. Cheers for that mate.

Apparently he's fixed an awful lot of broken necks on Gibsons, they must be fragile or something. One guy had to have his repaired in 4 different places.