Red Rings of Death!

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Red Rings of Death!

Post by JimmyBlind » 13 May 2009, 13:09

Anyone else had this happen to their 360? Had my console for 9 months and now it's fucked. The towel trick worked briefly but no joy. Furthermore, out of the 15 or so people I know who own a 360, only two of them are yet to suffer the RROD. A couple of them have had it happen twice. That's a pretty high failure rate in my opinion.
Bought the console off ebay, totally factory sealed but don't think I've got a warranty to send it off. Think I can pay for a repair company mind. Traded all my games in this weekend & bought a PS3 instead.
Has anyone else been equally disappointed by their 360?
Regards,

Jim

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Re: Red Rings of Death!

Post by SquidgyB » 13 May 2009, 13:58

All I know is what i've read about it. Cheap solder that cracks over time when heated and cooled repetitively. Depending on whether the ebay seller was a proper company or not, you might be able to get the warranty sorted (did they give you a proper invoice with company address etc on it?).

I think there's a hair dryer/heat gun and foil fix, but again it's only temporary. The idea is to melt the solder back into the joints, but eventually the cracks will reappear over time.

Good luck with it whichever way you go, I'd be proper miffed if I bought something only for it to die months later...

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 13 May 2009, 15:11

Yeah dude It's pretty annoying. Compared to some people I know it's had very little use. There's a trick where you wrap the console in towels & leave it on. Not sure quite how it works but it causes the console to shut down from overheating. When you turn it on again after cooling, it forces it to reboot in an alternative way I think & essentially forgets that it was previously U/S. This did work temporarily, but hasn't worked since.
I heard that Microsoft were, or were almost take to court about it due to a massive number of recalls from hardware faults. They introduced a 3 year guarantee on the product.
Hopefully I can register it and send it off to microsoft for a free repair. Can't say whether the console fell off the back of a lorry though. It was brand spanking new & still in the cellophane when I got it, but dunno whether the serial number was reported stolen or something. If it was nicked, is it possible microsoft might not give it back?
Regards,

Jim

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 13 May 2009, 16:11

According to my mate here who has had two xboxes replaced for the RROD problem, you don't even need proof of purchase. Just call MS up and register your serial number. From that point there's no way they can take your (albeit broken) xbox because it was registered as stolen. If it was, I expect they'd just tell you you're on your own.

You could on the other hand desolder every chip/resistor/capacitor on the board and resolder them in. Have fun trying to solder SMCs though :p

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 14 May 2009, 10:54

That's good news. I'll send it off then. Cheers
Regards,

Jim

lcfmademedoit
Snail
Snail

Post by lcfmademedoit » 14 May 2009, 19:49

I've had it happen twice and both times I've had microsoft repair it gratis within 2 weeks, the second time it was about a year out of warranty and they fixed it anyway.

You can do the whole process on the xbox site aswell.
'Don't laugh Lynn, you've broken your neck'

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 15 May 2009, 01:11

A friend here at uni is on his 3rd 360. I think the record is 14.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 15 May 2009, 07:41

14? :oogle: That's shocking.

Not sure I'll bother keeping it once it's fixed then if It's gonna need repairing every year. PS3 appears to be a much better built console.
Regards,

Jim

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 15 May 2009, 20:19

I've found out that you can get a SNES and NeoGeo emulators for the PSP. I want one. NOW.

Unfortunately I'm in France for a week, and they're like £50 more expensive here than at home. Grrr.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 18 May 2009, 10:00

ah the ol' rings of death!

I too had 3 xbox 360s die on me and the last one only lasted 30minutes before packing up!!

I traded the last in for a PS3 (just took the bust one to the shop) and i've only had one prob which they fixed straight away for me.. (Sony sent a replacement via courier for the base unit whilst I kept the HD, leads, controllers and I gave the faulty one to the driver)

it's definitely much better built and seems more classy.. and with online playing fee free + blue ray and my 320gb hd inside, usb charging pads it's all good :)

ps picked up Metal Gear Sold 4 last weekend for £14.99 from game station, it's well good!! :thumb:

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 18 May 2009, 11:55

kev wrote:ah the ol' rings of death!

I too had 3 xbox 360s die on me and the last one only lasted 30minutes before packing up!!

I traded the last in for a PS3 (just took the bust one to the shop) and i've only had one prob which they fixed straight away for me.. (Sony sent a replacement via courier for the base unit whilst I kept the HD, leads, controllers and I gave the faulty one to the driver)

it's definitely much better built and seems more classy.. and with online playing fee free + blue ray and my 320gb hd inside, usb charging pads it's all good :)

ps picked up Metal Gear Sold 4 last weekend for £14.99 from game station, it's well good!! :thumb:

The first cut scene with Raiden. Awesome.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 18 May 2009, 12:22

ah yeh, i was well loving that! Just like a badass martial arts scene or something... nearly finished it now on Hard.. gonna try again on uber hard once it's unlocked. It's the first Metal Gear game i've ever seen or played, i'm quite impressed!

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 18 May 2009, 12:47

I started playing MGS4 only this weekend. It's a great game so far.
Regards,

Jim

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 18 May 2009, 22:54

man, just did the last battle on hard, looked like it would be easy but took me a fair few goes :(

and get the popcorn ready for the Epilogue FMV, it's about 50mins long!!

roll on restart Big Boss Extreme mode :D

ps buy little big planet if you haven't already!!

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 19 May 2009, 09:11

the missus rented little big planet out last night. Haven't played it yet although I am informed that it's one of the most stunning looking games ever created. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Played some more MGS last night. Just defeated that crazy laughing bint with the tentacles. Pretty creepy eh?

Any tips and tricks you want to pass on? Weapons etc?
Regards,

Jim

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 19 May 2009, 10:17

ah yeh, that laughing bint was quite crazy!

I don't know if this will help really you're prob doing it already... Helping out the rebels so they're on your side is a must i guess.... and I really like the sniper rifles myself and head shots with the tranq guns apart from that just general sneakiness and not trying to do it too quick i think.. resting to gain energy rather than using medipacks... lots of exploring to find all the goodies \m/

oO when hiding facing away from the soldiers I think might hide you more as they can't see your face (if you don't have face camo)...

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 19 May 2009, 13:58

It took me a while to realise that the rebels were on my side. I gunned down a few of them in front of their mates.

I don't fully understand the sniper rifle either. I need to buy a scope for my M4 but it's ludicrously expensive. My sniper rifle (GSR something or other) cannot be customized either. Is there a way of zooming in with it or something?
Regards,

Jim

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 19 May 2009, 15:01

yeh some of the guns can't be customised at all.. I don't find i need a scope on machine guns though for some reason... just use those guns if i get caught out and i get rushed by a few enemies at once. Most the time I snipe, or sneak and tranq then stab. or choke grab and stab.

just press Triangle to look down the barrel of any gun, and if you have a scope it will look through it.. then zooming in and out is the old skool D-Pad.

I found the dot sights a waste of money, it seems harder to look through those than down an open barrel.. i've not bought a scope.. just keep spending my cash on bullets and muzzles to make the guns as silent as possible... muzzles don't last forever which is annoying...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 May 2009, 12:15

JimmyBlind wrote:There's a trick where you wrap the console in towels & leave it on. Not sure quite how it works but it causes the console to shut down from overheating. When you turn it on again after cooling, it forces it to reboot in an alternative way I think & essentially forgets that it was previously U/S. This did work temporarily, but hasn't worked since.

This sounds like a spectacularly terrible idea, but then I guess if the console is already fucked it won't make that much difference.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 20 May 2009, 13:14

i tried that trick on two of mine aswell.. did seem to work for a little while and then gears of war or some other game that might have pushed the system seemed to break it..

JimmyBlind
Snail
Snail

Post by JimmyBlind » 20 May 2009, 16:25

chippy wrote:
JimmyBlind wrote:There's a trick where you wrap the console in towels & leave it on. Not sure quite how it works but it causes the console to shut down from overheating. When you turn it on again after cooling, it forces it to reboot in an alternative way I think & essentially forgets that it was previously U/S. This did work temporarily, but hasn't worked since.

This sounds like a spectacularly terrible idea, but then I guess if the console is already fucked it won't make that much difference.

I agree, it sounds ludicrous doesn't it. You'd be surprised how many people on the net have tried it and successfully fixed theirs though, albeit temporarily. It's a badly manufactured console. I'm in two minds whether to keep it or flog it when i get it fixed.
Regards,

Jim

CerpinTaxt
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by CerpinTaxt » 28 May 2009, 10:44

JimmyBlind wrote:
chippy wrote:

I agree, it sounds ludicrous doesn't it. You'd be surprised how many people on the net have tried it and successfully fixed theirs though, albeit temporarily. It's a badly manufactured console. I'm in two minds whether to keep it or flog it when i get it fixed.

I think the reasoning behind it is that it overheats, but causes the circuitboard or whatever the hell it is inside to expand fractionally which means all the hairline fractures are filled, so it works again for a while. I've got fuck all idea what's actually inside an XBOX but that's basically what i heard.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 30 May 2009, 00:46

SquidgyB wrote:I think there's a hair dryer/heat gun and foil fix, but again it's only temporary. The idea is to melt the solder back into the joints, but eventually the cracks will reappear over time.

Same as.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 06 Jun 2009, 21:38

Friends 3rd xbox died. Now on his 4th.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK