Dead Space

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Dead Space

Post by filsatan » 27 Jan 2009, 14:18

I'm loving this. Only had it a little while, but addicted. Got it for only about 29 quid too :)

I have shit myself on numerous occasions so far as well, it's pretty jumpy. Top fun, i recommend.
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Re: Dead Space

Post by Mr Fish » 27 Jan 2009, 15:35

I bought this for PC the other day and house mate has it for 360. Which version should i play?

have played it on PC for only about 15 minutes, seemed ok although even with the sensitivity up the mouse aiming seems pretty sluggish.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Jan 2009, 15:45

Try disabling mouse acceleration. Also if you're using V-Sync that can introduce a touch of input lag sometimes.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 27 Jan 2009, 17:23

I've got it on the 360. It's spot on. But i hate gaming with a mouse anyway. Play alone with the sound up high and the lights off, like you're sitting down for a good horror, it scares the shit out of you at times. 8o
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 27 Jan 2009, 20:33

Jesus, is 29 quid deemed a cheap price for a game these days?
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 27 Jan 2009, 21:29

I'm waiting until it drop below 20 to get it. Having said that I'm buying Resident Evil 5 as soon as it's out!

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 27 Jan 2009, 23:29

fotch wrote:Jesus, is 29 quid deemed a cheap price for a game these days?

Probably used to paying for console games.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 27 Jan 2009, 23:49

SquidgyB wrote:

How much are console games?!

Are the unscrupulous games companies taking advantage of the lower IQ of your average console owner by charging more money for substandard (when compared to the PC) merchandise?
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 27 Jan 2009, 23:52

pay more get less
Lip up fatty

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 28 Jan 2009, 01:00

fotch wrote:
SquidgyB wrote:

How much are console games?!

Are the unscrupulous games companies taking advantage of the lower IQ of your average console owner by charging more money for substandard (when compared to the PC) merchandise?

£39.99 appears to be standard for PS3 and xbox for the big titles, and that's on play.com... PC games are a maximum of £29.99 usually, more for the odd specialty like FSX.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 28 Jan 2009, 16:59

i get my ps3 games for £20 or £25 lately, the shops seem to be doing specials for something for a few weeks and moving onto the next.. either that or i'm incredibly lucky all the time!

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 28 Jan 2009, 17:18

kev wrote:i get my ps3 games for £20 or £25 lately, the shops seem to be doing specials for something for a few weeks and moving onto the next.. either that or i'm incredibly lucky all the time!

Or the PS3 is going down the tubes.
Tucker's Law

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 30 Jan 2009, 23:32

Well on the topic of dead space. I haven't played it yet but I have the animated prequel film which has made really very keen to play it.
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 02 Feb 2009, 12:46

fotch wrote:
kev wrote:i get my ps3 games for £20 or £25 lately, the shops seem to be doing specials for something for a few weeks and moving onto the next.. either that or i'm incredibly lucky all the time!

hopefully not!! we won the HD-DVD / Blueray war :)

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 02 Feb 2009, 13:15

kev wrote:
fotch wrote:

Who gives a monkey's about High Definition DVDs though?
Tucker's Law

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 03 Feb 2009, 09:50

people with big tvs?

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 03 Feb 2009, 10:25

Aye, to be fair HD stuff looks spankingly good on the right telly. I wish I could afford a proper HD TV and some HD David Attenborough stuff, maybe a few films.

e: Couldn't give a shit about the "war" though. I haven't looked into Bluray vs HD or whatever the standards were. I just hope it wasn't like VHS vs Betamax where an inferior standard actually won against a better quality product by weight of marketing and big companies (as far as I remember... I was only a few years old at the time :P)

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 03 Feb 2009, 18:11

yeh does look loads better on a proper setup indeed :D
it's all about beards and hair and spots on people faces and number plates at a distance...

i think the better actually won this time.. there's just a lot more space on blueray i think..

ps i was watching someone play dead space the other day.. it was only the demo but they couldn't even seem to get past the first room!!!

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 04 Feb 2009, 12:58

Really? I'm crap at games, but am doing a dam site better than that.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 04 Feb 2009, 13:19

kev wrote:
fotch wrote:

Meh. No-one won. Physical media will be dead within a few years.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 04 Feb 2009, 13:58

we'd best have mucho better broadband first!! Especially for people that live in the country, they'll be buggered...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 04 Feb 2009, 14:35

Look what's happened to broadband speeds in the last few years.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 04 Feb 2009, 15:38

chippy wrote:Physical media will be dead within a few years.

And where exactly will all the data you're downloading from the future uber net sit?

Physical media will never really die. There will always be a need for low latency high speed local data access, and so hard disks, solid state drives and whatever new tech springs up will always be preferable to downloading all the data we need from some "cloud" system on a net. You simply won't get single digit micro-second latency from a net connection. And... as the speed of the net develops, and low latency access might become available, so the speed and latency of local storage will improve as well, so you'll always have better performance from storage that sits in your PC than what you can access over a vide area network. :p

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 04 Feb 2009, 15:48

SquidgyB wrote:

And where exactly will all the data you're downloading from the future uber net sit?

Physical media will never really die. There will always be a need for low latency high speed local data access, and so hard disks, solid state drives and whatever new tech springs up will always be preferable to downloading all the data we need from some "cloud" system on a net. You simply won't get single digit micro-second latency from a net connection. And... as the speed of the net develops, and low latency access might become available, so the speed and latency of local storage will improve as well, so you'll always have better performance from storage that sits in your PC than what you can access over a vide area network. :p

It'll be beamed down from Internet Headquarters on the moon, duh. :roll:
Tucker's Law

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 04 Feb 2009, 15:54

SquidgyB wrote:

Don't be so pedantic you little shit, you know exactly what I mean.

Also, you are right, games are going to be stored locally for a long time to come but they will be downloaded rather than buying the disc. Video will be streamed, you don't *need* single digit micro seconds latency for that, you just need reliable bandwidth. Of course there were always be a few die-hard geeks and collectors who want them so they'll probably keep the format alive to some extent but it will be limited runs and hence the price will go up.

And you will find more and more data sitting in the cloud instead of your computer, mark my words.
Last edited by chippy on 04 Feb 2009, 15:59, edited 2 times in total.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 04 Feb 2009, 15:57

SquidgyB wrote:You simply won't get single digit micro-second latency from a net connection.

I am saving this so I can laugh at you when we're old men.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 04 Feb 2009, 16:06

Neither of you will reach old age tbh.
Tucker's Law

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 04 Feb 2009, 16:15

chippy wrote:Don't be so pedantic you little shit, you know exactly what I mean.

Lol, having a bad day dude? :chuckle:

I know what you mean though, and it will be an approximation of both extremes, I'm sure.

Ultra low latency WAN connections though? I'm still not convinced.

e: unless they find some way of harnessing that thing they did at bangor uni electronics dept where they fired a laser into something and it came out before it went in :shocked:

fotch wrote:Neither of you will reach old age tbh.

Physically; undoubtedly.

Mentally; unfuckinglikely.

kev
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by kev » 05 Feb 2009, 13:14

chippy wrote:Look what's happened to broadband speeds in the last few years.

what if you live up a hill in wales though?

councils in country-fied places are already having meetings trying to force ISPs to get broadband where they simply can't get to at the moment..

But I can't see them laying physical stuff everywhere.. maybe these dongles will get quicker or they'll actually do wimax for these sorta places and it'll all be good :)

us southern living people have it easy and we'll get faster speeds easy!!