will this make me a left 4 dead super hero?

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

will this make me a left 4 dead super hero?

Post by Mr Fish » 23 Jan 2009, 15:41

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-980186 ... B0000ATCOR

I've given up on the headphones and mic i bought before, as the mic just wont work, mainly because of Realtek HD Audio I think. The headphones are pretty sexy so I might just keep them (though £30 was a bit much, but pain in the arse to send them back).

I shouldn't have any problem using that USB microphone will I? And is a mic like that going to be ok for gaming, in that it sits on the desktop? I won't have to keep hunching over like a wanker everytime I want to say anything?

Just though I'd check here as I've spent so much on my PC last few weeks, I've got about £200 left to live on for the next 3 months...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Re: will this make me a left 4 dead super hero?

Post by chippy » 23 Jan 2009, 15:52

It'll work alright. Annoys the hell out of me when people are using desktop mics and have their speakers too loud and when they talk you can hear game noise. Depends how directional the microphone is I guess. I think Blacknose uses a desktop mic and I never notice the issue with him.

Also I prefer playing with headphones so you can tell where stuff is a bit better when you can only hear it. But that's all just preference init.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 23 Jan 2009, 16:13

I use that exact mic and it's fantastic for the money. Just keep in mind that with a boom mic you must play with headphones or the feedback makes you completely inaudible.

e; I actually prefer playing with my headphones because a) it means I can have it proper loud at 3am and not wake my neighbours b) both my speakers are to my right so I get no directional feedback c) my headphones are fucking awesome and block all outside sound so it's good for immersion.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Post by Mr Fish » 23 Jan 2009, 17:35

right because im lazy i'm keeping these £30 headphones, and the post office is a trek away...have just bought that microphone, so should be arriving sometime in the week.

This does mean that another L4D night needs to be sorted though :)

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 25 Jan 2009, 18:38

L4d voice is shite. what we need is a vent server
Lip up fatty

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 26 Jan 2009, 01:17

I believe chippy has one, came with the dedicated server for L4D. I have a username/password for myself but I've never logged onto it...

e: here you go: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23684

It's teamspeake, same shit, though I've only ever used vent before.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 09:55

I don't really understand a) everyone's problem with L4D voice or b) the dislike of teamspeak, but I could switch the snail voice server to vent if you want. It's just a fucking pain getting everyone signed it, especially if there's people that don't have access in the team because we've got randoms from PA or whatever.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 26 Jan 2009, 10:11

The in game voice is pretty much fine, my only gripe is that it takes longer for your voice to be transmitted with higher pings. If there are flaming hunters involved that can be a decent amount of additional damage.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 10:24

Some people seem to have trouble getting their mic volume loud enough. However I suspect there might be a certain level of user error involved in that TO BE HONEST TILL

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 11:41

to be honest my voice level is fine on the vent server i use. i have to have everything maxed for left for dead. which is what winds me up. also on vent i can seperate sound into headphones with game sound coming through speakers. thus eliminating the problem of feedback to other users. ghey.
Lip up fatty

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Jan 2009, 11:44

I think if you can't make l4d voice work then we shouldn't have to compensate by inconveniencing ourselves to make up for your incompetence. I have no issue with it and the hundreds of people I have played with also have no issue with it. Tough.

Also if you use a boom mic then you don't want any sound out of speakers because no one wants to hear two lots of the game sounds either.

Basically I just don't see an issue with it.

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 12:19

Joe: I don't have the thousands of hours of gaming experience that you do and i have never done any study beyond A level on use of computer systems(and what I did was a decade ago now). Therefore you are likely to know exactly how to set up everything having done those things. The fact that you remain impatient with anyone who doesn't have the same level of ability or knowledge about the subject is a constant source of amusement to me. It does concern me that when you go and find a job with other people who may not have your level of knowledge or ability, that very same impatience will probably result in a severe obstacle to your career. ;op
Lip up fatty

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 14:05

Now now, chiddlers.

Till: Do you have mic boost turned on in Windows?

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 14:56

yes
Lip up fatty

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 15:20

And you've got everything maxed? Mic level in Windows and Voice Transmit Volume in L4D? What about the mic boost option in L4D as well as Windows? (although I think that might be directly linked to mic boost in Windows, not 100% sure though.

What mic is it? Also what soundcard/chipset/whatever. Or is it a USB mic?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 15:35

If we really can't get you any louder Tiill, I think I would have the headroom to turn up my voice receive volume until I can hear you probably. However, everyone with their mic currently at a workable level would need to turn theirs down to compensate.

All games with voice chat need some sort of built-in mixer you can use to fade up and down individual players. The whole "everyone at different levels" thing is pretty common across lots of games.

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 15:39

everything maxed
mic level in windows
and mic vt volume in L4d
have mic boost option in l4d enabled as well as windows (dunno if its linked or not)
its a logitech mic very possibly this one http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3TNG&CategorySelectedId=11124&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11124
its on board sound (realtek high definition audio)
3.5mm jack
Lip up fatty

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 15:40

i'll fiddle some more with my mic and stuff and see if there isn't something i can do about it
Lip up fatty

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 15:49

Sounds like a pain.

Is it a boom mic as opposed to a headset?

Could you try just... you know... having your face closer to it?

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Jan 2009, 15:51

LittleTill wrote:everything maxed
mic level in windows
and mic vt volume in L4d
have mic boost option in l4d enabled as well as windows (dunno if its linked or not)
its a logitech mic very possibly this one http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3TNG&CategorySelectedId=11124&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11124
3.5mm jack

You know how to set a mic just as well as I do then ;)

Also, you lose points for taking me seriously and getting offended. I just can't be arsed with vent when we have built in voice. By the way, lean closer to your mic, it's what I do.

p.s. you're under the impression I want a career with computers and/or care what anyone I'm likely to work with cares about me.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Jan 2009, 16:02

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 18:26

Lord_Blacknose wrote:
LittleTill wrote:everything maxed
mic level in windows
and mic vt volume in L4d
3.5mm jack

You know how to set a mic just as well as I do then ;)

Also, you lose points for taking me seriously and getting offended. I just can't be arsed with vent when we have built in voice. By the way, lean closer to your mic, it's what I do.

p.s. you're under the impression I want a career with computers and/or care what anyone I'm likely to work with cares about me.

lol
bad month.
Lip up fatty

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Jan 2009, 18:44

Gash, what's up man?

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 20:17

family shit and no work - again. just gets to you some days
Lip up fatty

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 26 Jan 2009, 20:19

sarah cooked me steak - its all better now
Lip up fatty

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 27 Jan 2009, 09:27

The few people I've seen who've had problems all seem to have 3.5mm jack microphones. Also massive agreement to having individual mixers for each player.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 27 Jan 2009, 11:44

campy wrote:The few people I've seen who've had problems all seem to have 3.5mm jack microphones

Errr, they would, wouldn't they... Seeing as unless you have a pretty high end breakout box on the front of your PC you won't have 1/4in jacks. That's very much not the problem (I'm not saying I know what the problem is).

Individual volume controls for each person in game would be very useful though.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Jan 2009, 11:56

Er, I think he meant as opposed to USB connections, Ger.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 27 Jan 2009, 12:47

OK. Standing corrected. Still, bit of an odd one. Come to think of it, the headphone/mic doesn't have a volume control half way up the cable does it? I've had ones like that confuse me at times...