Microphone not working

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Microphone not working

Post by Mr Fish » 17 Jan 2009, 15:32

My Creative Fata1ity headphones and mic arrived today. Plugged them in, headphones work with no problem, but I can't get the mic to work.

I've done all the basic things that you get told to do - check that the mic volume is turned up, plugged into the right port etc. They plug into the audio jack at the back of the PC (not USB) - i've read a lot about plugging them into the front jack, but the only sound ports I have are at the back of my PC, nothing at the front except 2 USB ports that I never bothered plugging in.

I don't have a soundcard, so I'm running straight from the motherboard.

On control panel, I've gone onto sound and have checked that both Mic Volume and Front Pink In are there, and both are turned up to max. One thing I have noticed though is that on Realtek HD Audio Manager is that on the Audio I/O tab, the front panel (with green port for headphones and pink for microphone) icons light up, and I'm able to click on them to choose what is plugged into these ports.

Have checked that the mic is plugged into the headphones properly, and the external bit where you can choose to turn the mic is definitely switched to on, and the volume slider is at max.

On microphone calibration, I have managed to get noise coming from the mic, but this only happens when the mic is turned off or on. In this case it shoots up to near the top - orange or red - but then goes back down to nothing again. Not sure if this is a clue to the problem, but I thought the fact it detects something may mean something...

Sorry for this being a pretty jumbled explanation.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Re: Microphone not working

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 17 Jan 2009, 15:49

Check to see if your computer has defaulted away from an analogue microphone. Vista can be a shit with detecting and configuring a mic but then deciding it's default mic should be one which doesn't exist.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Re: Microphone not working

Post by Mr Fish » 17 Jan 2009, 16:25

I'm still on XP, not Vista. I've seen fixes such as that with Realtek you're supposed to use the Input Device rather than the Output Device, to select Rear Pink Input and turn up the volume on that. I've not been able to turn that option on anywhere, only Front Pink Output. Considering I'm using rear pink, this seems to be a pretty big problem?