Left4Dead

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Re: Left4Dead

Post by campy » 08 Jan 2009, 12:37

Oh god, having a dozen scouts running round everywhere on every server is going to be hard to cope with. Is it possible to get onto the knifeback mountain whitelist still chipster? pretty prease?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Jan 2009, 13:51

oh yeah, forgotted about that. will ask later.

you should just get a something awful account you spoon.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Post by Mr Fish » 08 Jan 2009, 13:55

Played TF2 for the first time last night, struck me as being pretty different to most online shooters. Don't think the few servers I played on were great though as no one seemed to be buddying up - don't know much about the strategy of it all but I've picked up Heavy+Medic is a good idea but never saw that happening.
Any tips for TF2? Played as Pyro mostly and that was pretty fun, wasn't too keen on the Soldier class but that may change.

I'll be online for most of the evening I expect, so I'm up for playing whatever.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Jan 2009, 14:37

I like TF2 a lot. The only problem with pub servers is that most of them now are modified for silly things like instant respawn, increased max players etc which really upset the game balance. Also a distinct lack of communication and teamplay.

You're right, heavy and medic is a formidable combo. You do tend to see that on servers at least, Medics like buddying up with heavies because they can make them a lot of points. I tend to just grab my mic and start bossing people around if they suck at being organised. A lot of people on public servers just treat it like a deathmatch game unfortunately.

The solution to this is to stump up the measly one-off $10 fee required for a something awful account and play on some of the the goons private servers.

Actually, you can get on the best UK one (knifeback mountain) even if you're not a members, it's just that if the server is full and members try to join, non-members will be kicked automatically by the server to make space for them.

The IP is 85.17.173.196:27027. Go play, it's usually quite busy in the evenings, also it's been a bit quieter since L4D came out, as we have a bunch of servers for that as well.

Tips wise, it's just a case of playing the classes you like a lot and getting to know what situations they are good in. Some have steeper learning curves than others. Pyro, scout, soldier, and demoman are all relatively fun and easy to get into.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Post by Mr Fish » 08 Jan 2009, 14:43

Hmmmm, Something Awful does sound like it could be a shout. I've read some of their gold archives (or whatever its called) and it does seem like a funny forum.

I'll have a go on that IP address if I can bring myself to stop playing COD4. Are you a member of Knifeback Mountain?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Jan 2009, 14:48

I am. It's mostly empty during the day, mind.

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 19 Jan 2009, 13:00

please can we all make zombie heads go bang tonight?

i'm in mood for zombies
Lip up fatty

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 19 Jan 2009, 16:20

If we can do Dead Air or Death Toll on expert I'm in once work is done.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 19 Jan 2009, 20:15

sounds good to me
Lip up fatty

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Jan 2009, 11:34

Did you play? Did Till friendly you to death within 5 minutes? :P

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 20 Jan 2009, 12:02

Also tonight mebbe?

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 20 Jan 2009, 13:55

I'm up for some serious expert grinding at some point, still haven't finished a single one from start to finish, so no achievements for campy. Won't be about tonight sadly, but I'll definitely be on later on in the week.

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 20 Jan 2009, 15:38

i didn't play. no one responded. later tonight would be cool. although my bro and sarahs dad are coming for dinner :S
Lip up fatty

knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by knobsack » 20 Jan 2009, 21:38

I'm up for tonight, as in, pretty soon.
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.