Left4Dead

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Re: Left4Dead

Post by knobsack » 25 Nov 2008, 22:48

That was awesome, really annoyed we didn't finish it, I was so close.

That whole hide in the toilet thing worked out surprisingly well, I suppose it makes it impossible to get separated, we managed to take down two tanks and everything.
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 25 Nov 2008, 23:15

knobsack wrote:That was awesome, really annoyed we didn't finish it, I was so close.

That whole hide in the toilet thing worked out surprisingly well, I suppose it makes it impossible to get separated, we managed to take down two tanks and everything.

Maybe next time have 2 hide on the khazi and 2 hide in the cupboard under the stairs...
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 25 Nov 2008, 23:37

Hiding in that toilet works really well until you are still pinned down in there when a tank arrives. As long as that doesn't happen it usually works out ok, although the minigun on that map is also a viable option for once.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

Stu
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Stu » 26 Nov 2008, 08:56

I've found the minigun to be a complete pain in the backside. Usually the zombies will attack from behind if you're using it. Then you're a bit buggered unless you have everyone behind you with shotguns.

I'm starting to really like the hunting rifle. I love the fact it can travel through and kill several zombies in one hit. Double headshots rock.
I do not have anything funny to say for my signature. So have this instead.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 26 Nov 2008, 09:18

Hiding in various closets and toilets seems to be the only way to complete some sections on expert, especially the finales. By the sounds of things it's impossible otherwise, but I still call shenanigans. Get out there and go down in a scream of viscera I say.

The game is continuing to impress me in every way. I just don't know how I'm going to get bored of zombie brains splattering against my screen.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 09:36

Who's up for some splattering tonight?
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Nov 2008, 09:38

Stu wrote:have everyone behind you with shotguns.

Fixed that for you.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 26 Nov 2008, 09:47

chippy wrote:Who's up for some splattering tonight?

yup yup yup

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 10:02

Cool. This evening I'm going to attach the servers to the Steam group and see if we are still able to allow randoms to join the lobby when we want to. Wasn't working before but I think some server updates have been since rolled out.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 10:09

Also.

Can we try and start earlier than fucking nine o'clock tonight?

EAT EARLIER WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 26 Nov 2008, 11:16

I'll almost certainly be down for some super-happy-fun-zombie-apocalypse times. Agreed on the earlier start; I reckon we aim to start at four, which should get us actually going at about seven-ish?

As sarcastic as we were about the strange little pubby that came into our lobby, NEW MAPS V. SOON PEOPLE, NEW MAPS.

Oh, and I love how on any difficulty below advanced the tank becomes a big huggable teddy bear who causes you about as much trouble as, well, a big huggable teddy bear.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 11:43

OMG NEW MAPS GUYS V SOON

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 26 Nov 2008, 15:40

SquidgyB wrote:

yup yup yup

Yes, Stu might be too, but he's unreliable as he spends too much time trying to get up some girl with a funny name.
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 15:51

should be available from about 745 onwards, i have to get some supplies first...

joe will be too he claims.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Nov 2008, 16:28

It mostly depends on if I go to the bar or not.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 16:30

well don't go to the bar then x

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 26 Nov 2008, 16:36

But beer. Not that I can afford beer.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Nov 2008, 16:37

exactly

Jess
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Jess » 26 Nov 2008, 18:15

Drink beer in your room?

Edit: oh bugger, I shouldn't be giving you these kind of ideas. :roll:
Mirror mirror can you tell
If they are kneeling in confession or if they just fell?
The mirror looks back and it knows damn well
It's really hard living when you're living with yourself.

knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by knobsack » 27 Nov 2008, 01:34

fotch wrote:
SquidgyB wrote:

yup yup yup

Yes, Stu might be too, but he's unreliable as he spends too much time trying to get up some girl with a funny name.

I didn't want to say anything, but I've no idea how to pronounce whatever name you were trying to spell.
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 27 Nov 2008, 09:18

I didn't come one in the end last night, I got a bit caught up in Far Cry 2...

Probably on later tonight though, dunno quite what's going on with foods yet though.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 09:19

I had a load of things to do last night and it was too late by the time I got online.

I did add the server to the Steam group though, and it turns out it's gay. You can see it in the list and stuff but you can only join the current game that's running, you can't create a lobby on it. I connected and tried a map change vote and could only select No Mercy. It'd be doable with rcon commands but it's a lot of fucking about and frankly easier to use the sv_search_key thing.

Anyways, I'm mostly going to be shooting zombies all weekend so I will probably see some of you then. SourceMod has been updated for L4D so I'm going to install it on the server over the weekend which will allow me to set a few of you as admins and give proper in-game menus for admin stuff which should make everything a lot easier.

In preparation for that, please send me your SteamIDs. The numerical ones not your logon name. Join any Source-based game and type "status" in the console and it should give you it.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 27 Nov 2008, 12:48

Weird that voting didn't work, usually works fine. You can use it to vote back to the lobby also until valve fixes only being able to connect into a game.

I also found out why you sometimes have to reset the difficulty at the start of every level on a dedicated server. It's because of fucking idiots fucking around with the config.cfg file when they absolutely shouldn't be.

e; completed No Mercy on expert last night; I think the director went easy on us.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 13:18

I could call the vote up, but everything except No Mercy was greyed and couldn't be clicked. Very weird. Yeah you can vote back to the lobby but often when you start the next game it'll go ahead and search up a completely new server for you to play on unless the lobby leader has sv_searchkey set.

As far as the difficulty goes, having z_difficulty set in your server.cfg is what causes the issue because it gets reloaded inbetween maps. Although in earlier versions even if you took it out entirely, it would still default to Normal in between maps. However the server version has gone up a couple of times in the last week or so, so that could have been quietly fixed. Hopefully.

It's easy to say that you absolutely shouldn't be fucking about with the server config, but unfortunately you have no choice if you want the server to be remotely useable because valve haven't implemented UI for most things. For one thing, on a freshly rented vanilla server that z_difficulty setting is actually already there. It's not people adding it, it's people not knowing they need to remove it because it's there by default.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 27 Nov 2008, 13:24

I'm fairly sure all server settings should be configured in autoexec.cfg although I could be wrong. Either way people shouldn't be touching things like difficulty settings in config files.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 13:32

It's server.cfg. That's what the hosting companies control panel gives you access to. There might be an autoexec.cfg but you would have to FTP in to find it if it's there. And by default the line z_difficulty "Normal" is in there which is what causes the difficulty to reset between map loads.

edit: The difference is autoexec.cfg is run first at server startup and server.cfg is run every time the map changes. server.cfg is recommended for variables you don't want changing, or you want to be resett if they do. In practice it doesn't really make amount of difference where you put them. But yeah the problem with z_difficulty is not that people are adding it, it's that it's there by default. I guess different hosting companies probably provide different default builds.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 27 Nov 2008, 14:22

The hosting companies putting that in are fucking idiots. Also I didn't know you only had access to the one file without using FTP; I'm kinda bodging my knowledge of it from reading through c_vars and carrying stuff over from the client also (e.g. config.cfg).

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 14:32

In fairness, it might be Valve's default build. If I could be arsed I'd find out but it wouldn't surprise me. There's a tool you can run on any linux box pretty much called hlsupdate which dowloads and installs all source servers. The difficulty switching thing is a hugely common problem.

But screwing around with server.cfg is pretty much inevitable. If you leave it completely untouched you're left with a server which doesn't announce itself to the master list and pretty much the only way of joining it is via typing connect in the console or just hoping that matchmaking puts you there by blind luck. The dedicated server community in general are pretty pissed off about it. That's why there's precious few dedicated servers. If you look up the snail servers on game-monitor.com which monitors the majority of gaming servers, you'll see our 8 slot one is currently ranked #29 globally and #4 in the country in terms of amount of players served. That's how few there are.

After looking around, autoexec.cfg seems to be mainly used for real nitty gritty settings like server tickrate and shit, whereas more gameplay related stuff goes in server.cfg. Really though either way they're just lists of svars so it's not overly important where you put them.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 14:34

The other problem is shitloads of cvars and svars are only in the engine as a legacy thing and are currently redundant or not implemented in L4D so lists of them alone can be misleading.