Left4Dead

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Re: Left4Dead

Post by campy » 01 Dec 2008, 13:30

Sounds fookin' odd if you ask me. Why should sv_cheats have any bearing on other options...?
As for the attributes it changes:

- Melee fatigue (slows down after a few swings): In two minds about this one. People that spam melee correctly as a team are pretty much unstopable even against co-ordianted infected, which kind of takes the fun out of vs. Some tweaks with the fatigue recharge could make this viable.

- Smoker tongue recharge time is increased to about 15 seconds: Shorter kplzthx.

- Spawn cap of 3 special infected(?): Fucking retarded

- Increased spawn radius: Actually a good idea, being able to spawn as a boomer pretty much right next to the survivors makes it way too easy to get 'em.

And to all the people that bound either explode or kill to a key for use when you're a boomer, I hate you with all my internet rage.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 14:08

campy wrote:
- Spawn cap of 3 special infected(?): Fucking retarded

I question this one, since I did have sv_cheats 0 on mine (now removed, pending me deciding what I think about it) and we were still able to spawn 4 at some times, 3 at others. I personally think this one is actually down to the director deciding the survivors are taking too much of a beating and giving them a small chance, or it's a weird ping thing.

The theory is that setting sv_cheats 0 explicitly also defaults a few values that could have been changed by cheating. Therefore the lobby arrives, tweaks the melee rules etc for a versus game, but then sv_cheats 0 defaults them again. If this is true it would suggest that Valve intended to have melee fatigue etc. enable for versus games. It would make sense to me.

And yeah, binding kill/explode to a key is lame as fuck.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Dec 2008, 14:24

Binding explode is awesome.

The sv_cheats issue needs fixing badly. I saw a good explanation of how bugs like that can come about and by the sounds of it it's not something that would be hard for valve to patch up now that it's been noticed and reported so hopefully it'll get sorted soon. Chances are I won't be playing until next weekend (or possibly later depending on how busy I am) so here's hoping it's fixed by then.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 14:31

Lord_Blacknose wrote:Binding explode is awesome.

it's clearly a sploit or there'd be a key for it by default.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Dec 2008, 14:39

It's not an exploit, it is awesome. Just bind it yourself and stop moaning.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 14:45

Lord_Blacknose wrote:It's not an exploit, it is awesome.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Dec 2008, 15:00

Your face is mutually exclusive.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 01 Dec 2008, 16:42

Your mothers are most certainly not mutually exclusive.

'Splode 'sploit should only be used on cupboard camping fuckwads in vs. mode.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 16:51

Self sploding is gay.

However jumping from the top of the a high building onto the survivors as a kamikaze vomit bomb owns.

knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by knobsack » 01 Dec 2008, 19:09

My steam account won't connect, when I run steam it just comes up with the dialogue bx that says "steam account connecting" and that's all it does. For ages.
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 02 Dec 2008, 07:56

knobsack wrote:My steam account won't connect, when I run steam it just comes up with the dialogue bx that says "steam account connecting" and that's all it does. For ages.

Shut it down completely, including using Task Manager to get any Steam process still open in the background, go into C:\Program Files\Steam and delete ClientRegistry.blob. Restart Steam. Thank me.

Web Of Piss
Wannabe Snail
Wannabe Snail

Post by Web Of Piss » 03 Dec 2008, 09:46

I'm binary79 on steam, I won't be around this weekend though, as irony would have it, I'll be in Newbury.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads.
- Scott Vogel

knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by knobsack » 03 Dec 2008, 13:47

chippy wrote:
knobsack wrote:My steam account won't connect, when I run steam it just comes up with the dialogue bx that says "steam account connecting" and that's all it does. For ages.

Shut it down completely, including using Task Manager to get any Steam process still open in the background, go into C:\Program Files\Steam and delete ClientRegistry.blob. Restart Steam. Thank me.

Thanks Chipster.

So, anyone around tonight, I haven't killed any zombies for a while.

Although I was having a perfectly normal dream the other night when the tank music suddenly kicked in and I stated shouting "Fuck a tank's coming" and trying to shove everyone out the way. I don't remember what happened after that though, I may have woken up.
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 03 Dec 2008, 13:56

That's pretty funny :)

I might be on for some zombies tonight.

I got very demoralised after playing apallingly in a versus game yesterday and letting me team down. My aim was just off, it felt like I couldn't control my character, it seemed too twitchy, and whenever I got boomered I would get totally disoriented, whereas normally I can keep track of what's happening. Plus the other team saw that I was the weak link and started picking on me (THANKS CAMPY) So I gave up and played TF2 instead, which I was better at than I normally am.

Then later I realised I was using the wrong side of my mouse pad, I flipped it back over and my aim went back to normal. So there you go.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 03 Dec 2008, 14:59

The other guys on my team were a bit WIN WIN WIN, with only a modest amount of FUN FUN FUN (See hiding in the closet just before the lift). Picking on one survivor leads to some pretty good lols though, especially when its you chippy :spliff:

I should have a G5 sat waiting for me when I get home today, so I will be almost certainly on for a decent sesh tonight.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 03 Dec 2008, 15:51

The most amusing part of it for me was the goons on my team who were getting the arse with me and clearly wanted to have a right old bitch over voice chat, but were also quite conscious of the fact that it was my server they were playing on. They were cool though, I spoke to them afterwards.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 05 Dec 2008, 09:18

Lord_Blacknose wrote:It's not an exploit

December 4, 2008 - Left 4 Dead Update Released

Updates to Left 4 Dead have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Left 4 Dead -
Finding a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby is now faster and more reliable

Versus mode is now locked to Normal difficulty

Difficulty on a server is now locked to the one set by the lobby reservation

Fixed lagouts/spikes after level transition

Fixed directory issue with spray logs in some cases

Fixed video settings not saving after closing video options dialog

Corrected a boomer suicide exploit

Several minor localization fixes

Fixed disabling cheats incorrectly reseting data

:]

I think locking versus mode to normal was a bit daft though tbh, at least give people the choice.

edit: although thinking about it it must be proper annoying to start a versus game from lobby and get dumped on a server forcing expert if you don't want it.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 05 Dec 2008, 09:43

Hope the dedicated server finding is properly fixed, I can't even get on it's so slow sometimes. GJ on the explode/kill exploit for definite. It looks like the witch kill exploit is still in there though, rendering her pointless in almost all situations.

No kind of melee nerfing yet either, I personally feel it needs to be done, but I've no idea how they'd do it without making it overly gash for the survivors.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 05 Dec 2008, 10:04

Well since they've fixed the sv_cheats 0 resetting options thing, that's taken away the melee nerf out of versus mode. Apparently, the melee cooldown svars have completely disappeared now, which is a bit off. I quite like the cooldown, I think melee spamming is a little bit cheap.

What's the witch kill exploit?

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 05 Dec 2008, 10:57

As you may or may not know, if the witch isn't facing you, you can sneak right up behind her. I figure that's fine, she can't see you, she can't hear you, so she won't attack you. However once you're directly behind her you can wake her up with whatever method you choose and she can't attack you. She just flails about a bit screaming, her melee animation works fine but it just does sod all. Thus completely removing any danger she would normally present, obviously ruining the tension somewhat.

This won't work when she's sat somewhere you can't get on her blindside, like right outside the safe room.

Also, I'm determined not to go out tonight, so if anyone fancies a pop at expert I should about.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 05 Dec 2008, 11:24

I'm up for some tonight camples. I may be drinking though so I don't know what my performance will be like ;)

That witch bug sounds crap, I had no idea.

Anyone managed to get cr0wnd yet?

p.s. I may have said this before but I love your sig.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 05 Dec 2008, 11:59

It's entirely possible that I may be lightly baked, so my reactions may be off a little too.

My sig still makes me laugh even after all this time.

Not got cr0wned yet, apparently two quick autoshotties to her head up close will get you it though, doesn't sound too hard...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 05 Dec 2008, 12:02

Think it needs to be one autoshotty, isn't that the point of the achievement?

I shall definitely be stoned.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 05 Dec 2008, 13:42

You'd think so wouldn't you, I'm just going on reports from other people *shrug*. To me the witch has so much potential to be a pant stainingly scary part of the game. The fact that a barely well prepared team can take her out before she incapacitates someone, let alone kills them, breaks that somewhat. Only time she's dangerous is if a stray bullet hits her from miles away so you don't know she's coming. Having said that, I haven't been on expert against one yet...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 05 Dec 2008, 13:46

I'm pretty sure it has to be one shot to get the achievement.

The L4D forums are so fucking boring today, everyone's up in arms about the versus difficulty being locked, and they're just making thread after thread after thread about, rehashing the same fucking argument. It's doing my head in. So I'm doing a fair bit of trolling. A mod threatened me this morning.

LittleTill
Snail
Snail

Post by LittleTill » 04 Jan 2009, 17:58

oh i give up.
Lip up fatty

Mr Fish
Snail
Snail

Post by Mr Fish » 07 Jan 2009, 18:43

This thread is far too long to read to see whose playing, so thought i'd make a rare post.

Just got back to uni where the internet speeds can go faster than 28k, and my dad bought the entire valve collection at Xmas, so i can finally play this on his account.

So sign me up boys, who plays? Elliottequine is the name of my steam account. And if its not me on there you can always harrass my old man.

xx

Edit - also, any other half life players? Team Fortress, Counter Strike and whatnot?

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 08 Jan 2009, 11:06

I haven't played TF2 since abooooout June or so. Went to play the other day, only to discover that the multiple updates were going to take 3 hours to download. I'm still very much loving the left 4 dead though. Probably be on at about 5 or so today if at all.

Join this http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thedeadsnailssociety

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Jan 2009, 11:13

Signed fishy up to the snail group last night.

I play TF2 Mr. Fish... Scout update going soon I believe :D