Left4Dead

gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Re: Left4Dead

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 27 Nov 2008, 14:48

The bullshit with dedicated servers has been going on since they first released the demo. Initially there was no way at all to join your own server for example which is why they're working on the group servers. It's still early days and hopefully they'll fix all the problems with the system like adding a tick box for no modded servers in the lobby and allowing the lobby leader to select a server from a list/group. I think they kinda dropped themselves in at the deep end and it isn't paying off for them at the moment.

But do you know why I forgive them? Because they launch their games with this:
http://www.tfportal.de/gfx/screenshots/ ... _party.jpg
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 27 Nov 2008, 14:53

Yeah I'm still loving it despite the bullshit.

I think eseentially they tried to make it too user friendly and, dare I say, console-ish and overdid it somewhat, forgetting that a lot of gamers are also going to want some degree of control, and also that people aren't going to bother running dedicated servers unless they can actually get on them and run them as they see fit.

I forgive them because they will fix this stuff based on the community response rather than just launching and forgetting about it.

For now, unless you want to chuck your server in with a large group of others like the goon servers, sv_search_key gives you the most flexibility and control over what's happening if you're just running one or two.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Stu
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Stu » 27 Nov 2008, 16:15

Couldn't make it last night, went to pub instead after my dad landed from Mumbai. Couple of hours later the shit really hit the fan there. Bloody hell.

I might be on sometime Friday and Saturday. I'm working Saturday daytime but maybe later in the afternoon I can be on for some zombie pewpew. Sunday I'm working all day so it'll have to be in the evening (Dubai time).

Dubai Rugby 7's tomorrow, I'm gonna get waaaaaaasted. :D
I do not have anything funny to say for my signature. So have this instead.

Web Of Piss
Wannabe Snail
Wannabe Snail

Post by Web Of Piss » 28 Nov 2008, 04:42

I've just downloaded this, but it's coincided with a new expansion for EQ2 so I've been grinding and raiding super hard for most of the last week. May try and get on Steam at some point this weekend and see if any of you fine gentlemen are about.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads.
- Scott Vogel

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Nov 2008, 09:56

Good stuff. What's your Steam username Mr. Piss? I'll friend you up and chuck you a group invite.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Nov 2008, 09:57

friend you up

hehe

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Nov 2008, 10:03

OOOH A FRIEND

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Nov 2008, 10:05

Is that some kind of gay slang?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Nov 2008, 10:19

yes.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Nov 2008, 15:07

I have a dream, that one day 8 snailers will play a game of versus together. Everyone will have mics, those mics will be working, we will get on the server first time, and when everyone says they are ready to go they actually mean that they are ready rather than "I will be ready once you have all sat in the lobby for 45 minutes waiting for me to eat/poo/fix my computer/masturbate". And no-one will leave before the end of the game leaving us to be joined by dipshit pubbies.

But failing all of that, just 8 snailers in a versus game would do.

This weekend, anyone? Who's free and when?

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Nov 2008, 16:38

Me, most of the time.

Also, run in front of my gun less and crouch when you're in front you shower of twats.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 28 Nov 2008, 23:34

Off all weekend, I'll probably end up doing some kind of foolish action in game and dooming us all though.
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

Stu
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Stu » 29 Nov 2008, 00:20

I think the best rule for me would be that if you ever see me online then invite me. Playing with you guys is far superior to playing with dipsticks from Singapore even though my lag is worse.

Also, because of my lag, I am prone to shooting you in the back every now and then, especially if you're moving. Likewise, I have a tendancy to walk into your firing line. It's not deliberate, but it is likely to happen (This is why I try and sit in front of everyone else all the time).
I do not have anything funny to say for my signature. So have this instead.

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 30 Nov 2008, 12:51

I have been away for the last few days, and as such my zombie killing gland has become seriously inflamed. I'll be on tonight for some serious brain smushing at about nine if anyone's about.

Chippy I share your dream, do we have seven in total now with Jim on board? So, we only need one more for total zombie genocide fulfilment.

lcfmademedoit
Snail
Snail

Post by lcfmademedoit » 30 Nov 2008, 14:30

I finished fallout the other day so i may well have to get this tommorow.

Cant guarantee i wont be fully shit to start with but i may join your clan wotsit, altho i mainly play during the day so might be completely pointless.

The end.
'Don't laugh Lynn, you've broken your neck'

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 30 Nov 2008, 17:47

sweet. you'll have to get it on the pc not the 360 if you want to play with us though, i don't think it has cross platform multiplayer support.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 30 Nov 2008, 18:10

It hasn't.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 10:03

Well that was a pretty gash weekend, zombie wise.

Incidentally a large proportion of goons are no better than pubbies.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 01 Dec 2008, 10:21

chippy wrote:Well that was a pretty gash weekend, zombie wise.

You're kidding me, really?! And I'd always heard Goons were the best people on the internets. :roll:
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 10:24

Their current thing seems to be OMG FUCKING MODDED SERVER FUCK THIS SHIT *RAGEQUIT* as soon as something goes even slightly bad for them. On a vanilla server. That's what happened for most of yesterday afternoon anyway.

As for you lot, are any of you capable of just saying "yes, hello let's play a game now" rather than needing to poo/tidy/eat for 4 hours first?

Or in Humby's case, STARTING a game, then after 10 minutes announcing he has to go eat and just going afk. For ever.

Or in Campy's case, inviting me into games FULL OF WANKERS. ( ;) campy <3 )

lcfmademedoit
Snail
Snail

Post by lcfmademedoit » 01 Dec 2008, 11:04

Will indeed be the pc version.

Is it worth faffing about with the steam version or just go and actually buy it.
'Don't laugh Lynn, you've broken your neck'

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 11:10

Depends if you can't be arsed with the download or not I guess. Even the box version has to be activated on Steam. It's a lot cheaper getting the box for some retarded reason. Have a look on Amazon.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 01 Dec 2008, 11:57

chippy wrote:As for you lot, are any of you capable of just saying "yes, hello let's play a game now" rather than needing to poo/tidy/eat for 4 hours first?

Or taking ages fixing a mic that buzzes like an angry locust every time you speak...

Pot, kettle, black. :point:

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 12:02

Yeah, that a) isn't my fault and b) took a fraction of the time to mess with than everyone else just spends fucking about doing nothing and c) was a single isolated incident as opposed to every single time we try and have a game and d) was directly effecting gameplay and e) the main bulk of time was taken up with my computer crashing which f) wasn't my fault, again. I've ordered a USB one now anyway.

pot, kettle, shit comparism.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 01 Dec 2008, 12:08

I know, I was just poking you with a stick tbh :thumb:

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 01 Dec 2008, 12:17

chippy wrote:Well that was a pretty gash weekend, zombie wise.

The trick is to know which goons don't suck and play with them.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 12:20

The Knifeback Mountain guys are all spot on but all of their servers are pretty much full all the time. A lot of the guys in Goons4Dead are douches, and there's nowhere near enough goon-run servers to go round so mostly people are playing on whatever shit matchmaking chucks them in. It's not really like TF2 or somethign where you get a nice community built around a single server, because there's simply not enough space on a server for that.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 12:21

SquidgyB wrote:I know, I was just poking you with a stick tbh :thumb:

bad day for it. :(

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Dec 2008, 12:31

What do you guys reckon about this?
NOT what do you think of the post, I mean what do you think of the issue:

OK, so I've had a lot of people coming into my vanilla servers over the weekend, raging over it being modded and leaving again. I couldn't understand what the fuss about so I've decided to do some digging and this is what I found:

In a versus game, if you have sv_cheats 0 in your server.cfg, the following things happen:

- Melee fatigue (slows down after a few swings)
- Smoker tongue recharge time is increased to about 15 seconds
- Spawn cap of 3 special infected(?)
- Increased spawn radius

Now since sv_cheats should be 0 anyway, I'm not sure what the value of having it in server.cfg is anyway, but is in a lot of hosting companies default builds when you get a new server. Also, you would hope that changing it wouldn't change other svars by itself, but it certainly seems to. If you don't have sv_cheats 0 in your .cfg, you get no melee slowdown, 3 seconds smoker recharge time, 10 metre spawn distance, etc, all without changing anything else. But it is still set to 0, bear in mind, because that's the default. You just haven't specifically declared it as 0.

It's as if joining a game from a versus lobby sets up certain rulechanges for versus play, but then setting sv_cheats 0 resets a bunch of values to default.

It's not really clear what the intended default rules for versus are. Personally I'd lean towards the longer recharge time on the smoker and and the slightly nerfed melee as I think it plays slightly better, but I'm sure lots of people would probably disagree.

At the very least, it might go to explain why there appears to be two default rulesets for versus depending on what servers your own, and why some people bitch about server mods on unmodded servers.

More information on this: http://games.on.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a