gaming/internet/techy/website dicussions, requests etc etc
knobsack
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Bioshock

Post by knobsack » 26 Mar 2007, 21:57

This really is quite the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmw78t8NgIE
Just as a postscript to what we've been saying, Professor Lewis, I'd like to say... I saw your mum, coming out of the VD clinic. I'd like to say that anyone with aids, that's you that is. That's your girlfriend, and your mum, and your dad.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 26 Mar 2007, 23:30

yeah, look like a lark.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Re: Bioshock

Post by fotch » 16 Apr 2008, 18:54

Just played the demo of this, I presume someone on here has the full version, is it worth getting? I think the concept is awesome but something about the combat just didn't sit right with me...
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

campy
Slug Of Satan
Slug Of Satan

Post by campy » 16 Apr 2008, 21:45

Yes it is worth getting. The combat is a little weird feeling, but you'll get used to it and eventually enjoy it. The real kickers in this game are the graphics and the story line.

If you liked System Shock 2, and lets face it, who didn't; then you'll like this.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 16 Apr 2008, 22:14

....Never played System Shock 2, have heard many many many good things about it over the years though.
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 17 Apr 2008, 13:34

Bioshock is wicked. I got stuck and can't be arsed now though, which is annoying.
But the storyline is crackers. Mmmm, i may dig it up and try and finish it again actually.
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 17 Apr 2008, 14:42

fotch wrote:Just played the demo of this, I presume someone on here has the full version, is it worth getting? I think the concept is awesome but something about the combat just didn't sit right with me...

It absolutely is even for the voice acting and set pieces, let alone the rest of the game.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 21 Dec 2008, 00:17

Got this off Ebay nice and cheap t'other day, it is now in the process of creeping me the fuck out.
Tucker's Law

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 21 Dec 2008, 21:14

How cheap Mr. Robinson?
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 21 Dec 2008, 22:10

Nine pounds ninety nine pence including postage.
Tucker's Law

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 21 Dec 2008, 23:30

I've just ordered this and am quite looking forward to it!

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 22 Dec 2008, 00:21

THOM wrote:I've just ordered this and am quite looking forward to it!

It's awesome. Seriously messed up, whoever came up with the concept gets a pat on the back from me :thumb:
Tucker's Law

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 22 Dec 2008, 10:48

Bioshock has some horrible built in mouse acceleration though, I only realised this weekend after playing it a fair bit now I have vista/dx10...

Try moving the mouse very slowly in the menu screen and you might see what I mean, it's like there's a "deadzone" for mouse movement, it pretty much treats the mouse like an xbox analogue stick (yuck).

Anyhow, if it bugs you as much as it did me (accurate aiming is pretty much impossible without a fix) then this might help:

Change the line

CaptureMouse=true

to

CaptureMouse=false

in the default.ini file

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 22 Dec 2008, 15:32

SquidgyB wrote:Bioshock has some horrible built in mouse acceleration though, I only realised this weekend after playing it a fair bit now I have vista/dx10...

Try moving the mouse very slowly in the menu screen and you might see what I mean, it's like there's a "deadzone" for mouse movement, it pretty much treats the mouse like an xbox analogue stick (yuck).

Anyhow, if it bugs you as much as it did me (accurate aiming is pretty much impossible without a fix) then this might help:

Change the line

CaptureMouse=true

to

CaptureMouse=false

in the default.ini file

Never had a problem with accurate aiming, I suspect you just can't play properly and needed an excuse to tamper.
Tucker's Law

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 22 Dec 2008, 15:54

fotch wrote:Never had a problem with accurate aiming, I suspect you just can't play properly and needed an excuse to tamper.

Meh, I noticed before I read it on forums, have a quick google for "Bioshock mouse fix" and yopu'll see what I mean. Works fine now for me, bus before it felt decidedly odd...

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 22 Dec 2008, 15:58

SquidgyB wrote:Bioshock has some horrible built in mouse acceleration though, I only realised this weekend after playing it a fair bit now I have vista/dx10...

Change the line

CaptureMouse=true

to

CaptureMouse=false

in the default.ini file

I fucking hate mouse acceleration. I've got it turned off in Windows and everywhere else so it sucks when a game has it forced. To be fair though most people won't notice as it's on by default in Windows and everyone gets used to it. I never noticed it until I started playing Audiosurf, where it made everything really difficult if it was on, and then once I turned it off I realised how much easier aiming with it is.

Also, whereas in XP it was just called mouse acceleration they call it "Enhance Pointer Precision" which sounds good, so you don't even realise what it is at first.

If anyone's wondering: With mouse accleration, moving your mouse an inch will have a greater or lesser effect on your pointer, character, gun etc. depending on how fast you moved the mouse. With it off, it's independent of speed so moving your mouse a certain distance always corresponds to the same amount of movement in game.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Dec 2008, 16:39

fotch wrote:Nine pounds ninety nine pence including postage.

It's now £3.49 on Steam. VALVE :gurn:

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 26 Dec 2008, 16:47

Ah well, completed it the other day, well worth the money in any case. :thumb:
Tucker's Law

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 26 Dec 2008, 17:16

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a run. I need a new storyliney FPS to get stuck into.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 28 Dec 2008, 13:58

Ger, the copy I got off Steam has no mouse acceleration or deadzone. Did you accidentally enable gamepad support or something? Or maybe they patched it.

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 28 Dec 2008, 19:54

Hmm, mine was the retail version, I certainly didn't enable gamepad support or anything :shrug:

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 28 Dec 2008, 22:34

SquidgyB wrote:Hmm, mine was the retail version, I certainly didn't enable gamepad support or anything :shrug:

What version are you running?
Tucker's Law

SquidgyB
Slug
Slug

Post by SquidgyB » 29 Dec 2008, 18:22

Latest, 1.1

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 29 Dec 2008, 19:19

Dunno what version here, straight off Steam unpatched and unmodded.

There's one little weird mouse thing I've noticed. After certain things, like loading a save game, for about 10 seconds the mouse speed slows right down, and it becomes harder to control. Literally if you mouse the mouse in a straight line your view moves like you're drawing a wavy line. But if clears up really quickly and I think it's some sort of intentional effect rather than a bug.

This is a fucking cool game, incidentally.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 29 Dec 2008, 20:18

chippy wrote:Dunno what version here, straight off Steam unpatched and unmodded.

There's one little weird mouse thing I've noticed. After certain things, like loading a save game, for about 10 seconds the mouse speed slows right down, and it becomes harder to control. Literally if you mouse the mouse in a straight line your view moves like you're drawing a wavy line. But if clears up really quickly and I think it's some sort of intentional effect rather than a bug.

This is a fucking cool game, incidentally.

Welcome to the circus of values!
Tucker's Law