Any Grime heads up in dis?

hiphop, alternative, ragga, drum and bass, jungle, triphop, dub, reggae... + any other music style

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Any Grime heads up in dis?

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Jan 2009, 13:57

C'mon, own up. Some of it is legendary. I'm hoping Tomaroundtheworld will step into this thread, he usually likes everything. I love Grime and I don't care. Say it. It feels good.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Re: Any Grime heads up in dis?

Post by chippy » 20 Jan 2009, 14:24

Actually, yeah, I do rather. But only as far as liking it when I hear it. I couldn't name you any artists or anything. Recommend me some recommends and I'll do listening.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 20 Jan 2009, 18:33

yeah i don't know many artists, apart from the commercial stuff you lot would probably scoff at and maybe not even call grime. i like kano bestest.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 20 Jan 2009, 19:42

So of the stuff I have heard is cool. I don't know that much about it due to being in my own musical bubble most of the time.
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 20 Jan 2009, 22:39

Right, the great thing about Grime is, despite alot of MC's talking about making money, most of it is self-released and promoted, therefore the majority of artists post their mixtapes for free online and encourage peeps to d/l them for free. All of these mixtapes are available online and are pretty easy to find. When i'm not so knackered i'll post links to them tomorrow if anyone wants them. Anyway, IMO, i'm all about the dirty beats, but mainly I like the sick lyrical skills. So the best recent mixtapes I think are;

P Money - P Money Is Power

P Money killing it on Logan Sama's show^

Double S - Money's Da Motive

Although his beats aren't always too good, Double S is without a doubt one of the best MC's out there at the moment. Ignore Ghetto, S comes in at 1.13 and destroys. ^

Durrty Goodz - Axiom

Without a doubt the best artist in Grime. Axiom EP is one of my favourite albums by an MC ever. His beats are too sick, usually spits over gully dubstep. Tune from Axiom ^

Lil' Nasty - Hungry Season

Gully MC. Has a habit of talking about guns a lot, but get past that and he's sick. Tune above is UFO from Hungry Season. Sick beat from Rudekid, one of the best producers 'in the game'.

There's a lot more but i've given you a taster. Like I said, use google and you can get all those mixtapes for free innit. I recommend checking out Logan Sama's youtube channel 'cos there's hundreds of studio sessions from the best artists about and you can go from there. Keep it gully, as they say.