Let's talk about music again

hiphop, alternative, ragga, drum and bass, jungle, triphop, dub, reggae... + any other music style

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Let's talk about music again

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 08 Dec 2008, 16:34

Anyone? What's been tickling everyone's fancy?

Lately I'm loving both my rude as fuck, and quite chilled dubstep, still think there's ridiculous amounts of good house around at the moment. I'm playing the Black Kids album loads, Bon Iver's album (late off the mark - as I said in the other thread) is immense. I've only just been played some Richie Spice which I'm loving. Quasimoto is making me wonder why Madlib does so much producing and not that much rapping, and I'm loving my southern and gangsta stuff at the moment too. Pastor Troy and Nappy Roots (seeing them in dungarees and pick-ups in the videos is hilarious) and stuff like D-Block, Nate Dogg, Styles P etc too.

That's quite a range. Obviously only one or two people will even read this, let alone add some input but if anyone wants to recommend me something or talk about something, or just generally distract me from working that'd be swell :)

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Re: Let's talk about music again

Post by metal_dave » 08 Dec 2008, 21:53

i've recently developed a soft spot for pop-punk-core. like story of the year, senses fail and set your goals.

also, been listening to the gaslight anthem, which got me listening to springsteen. and i've just got into sparta. bit behind the times i know.

aaaaaaand i saw the king blues supporting the gaslight anthem the other night and i now love them. even though the're a bit ska at times.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 08 Dec 2008, 23:21

Mainly been listening to Joy division again and Sonic youth again. Just discovered quite a lot of Uk garage I like. Still holding loving the jungle and old school hardcore. Also been enjoying listening to my stuff too, all of it.
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 09 Dec 2008, 00:39

To Dave - I got the new King Blues album and it's really quite good. I liked the first a lot anyway but the second is quite different. A bit catchier, a bit more polished. No less fun though. I bet the new songs would be great to hear live. And I just downloaded The '59 Sound. I've heard too many good things about them so I guess I need to give them a go.

Skink - Which Sonic Youth album would you really recommend. I have Goo, Daydream Nation and Washing Machine but I still feel like i haven't scratched the surface. It seems like everyone has a different favourite album. I really like Daydream Nation and Washing Machine, Goo isn't quite as good but I still like it. I don't listen to them that often but every time I do I wonder why I don't more.
And I swear there's some good Garage around too. Some d&b/dubstep night my friends run had one of the residents do a garage set and it was surprisingly good. I don't think I could listen to it too much, but some tunes especially were great.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 09 Dec 2008, 08:21

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:To Dave - I got the new King Blues album and it's really quite good. I liked the first a lot anyway but the second is quite different. A bit catchier, a bit more polished. No less fun though. I bet the new songs would be great to hear live. And I just downloaded The '59 Sound. I've heard too many good things about them so I guess I need to give them a go.

they're awesome live. i caught about two songs at the end of their set at Reading, and was gutted i missed them to be honest. 'save the world, get the girl' and 'lets hang the landlord' were personal highlights.

and the '59 sound is one of my favourite albums of this year i think. wicked band.

p.s. the gaslight anthem are touring again next year with frank turner supporting. niiiice.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 10 Dec 2008, 10:40

My fancy is currently being tickled by the following...

The Smiths (New "Sound of The Smiths" release, sounds awesome)
Buckcherry - Black Butterfly
Backyard Babies
Danko Jones

And, of course Nick Cave, who i will never tire of (it does help that i probably have about three hundred odd songs by him!)
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 10 Dec 2008, 23:54

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:Skink - Which Sonic Youth album would you really recommend. I have Goo, Daydream Nation and Washing Machine but I still feel like i haven't scratched the surface. It seems like everyone has a different favourite album. I really like Daydream Nation and Washing Machine, Goo isn't quite as good but I still like it. I don't listen to them that often but every time I do I wonder why I don't more.
And I swear there's some good Garage around too. Some d&b/dubstep night my friends run had one of the residents do a garage set and it was surprisingly good. I don't think I could listen to it too much, but some tunes especially were great.

Washing machine is probably one of my favorite albums ever but with sonic youth there is a lot to listen too. I would recommend bad moon rising, sister and evol but really with these guys it is worth checking it all out. As a band they manage to amaze and infuriate me. Awesome!
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show