new pendulum

hiphop, alternative, ragga, drum and bass, jungle, triphop, dub, reggae... + any other music style

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

new pendulum

Post by metal_dave » 30 Oct 2007, 23:30

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=75424283

'granite' is a banger. loving the vocals and guitars, it's a little bit nine inch nails.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Re: new pendulum

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 03 Nov 2007, 18:15

I'll usually at least try and sort of defend Pendulum against all the snobby Drum and Bass types who dislike them purely because of how popular they are, but I'll be honest here. That is fucking wank. The vocals are fucking horrific, it's generic, it's overproduced. I really struggled listening to that.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 04 Nov 2007, 02:35

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:...it's generic, it's overproduced.

I have always thought that about pendulum.
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 04 Nov 2007, 05:37

Yeah, so have I, but some of my junglist mates who always try to look cool just slag them off at every oppertunity and it's purely based on popularity. They're playing the live set in Oxford in a couple of weeks and to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing that. The overproduction is what really puts me off Pendulum, and I'm hoping that's pretty much eliminated by it being live. But when I was asking around to see who wanted to come everyone just said "No they're shitty and overproduced" etc etc as soon as they heard the name Pendulum. That track makes me wonder why I bother ever defending them though.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 08 Nov 2007, 23:48

oh god more of the fucking same then
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 09 Nov 2007, 08:19

nah, there's more guitars and vocals.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 09 Nov 2007, 11:51

oh god yeah you're right it sounds so different
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

ThomW
Slug Trainee
Slug Trainee

Post by ThomW » 11 Nov 2007, 21:59

Awful

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 11 Nov 2007, 22:04

i don't see what's so terrible. maybe i'm not elite enough.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 11 Nov 2007, 23:38

It's the flipside for me. I honestly don't see what there is to like about it. It's so overproduced and formulaic. It doesn't go anywhere. The vocals are horrific too and it gets really boring so quickly. It's honestly garbage.

And that's nothing about being elite either. Not that you could even call that track drum and bass, but I'm not at all elitist when it comes to it. I generally really dislike the dirty, grimey stuff that all the other bods like. I like my drum and bass quite girly. Euphoric, melodic, nice beats, female vocals rather than MCing. I suppose I lean to the commercial side. And there's a couple of Pendulum tunes I don't mind (the main reason I don't like some of the better older stuff is because it's been overplayed to death now) but there's literally nothing I can find to praise about that track.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 12 Nov 2007, 15:57

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:It's the flipside for me. I honestly don't see what there is to like about it. It's so overproduced and formulaic. It doesn't go anywhere. The vocals are horrific too and it gets really boring so quickly. It's honestly garbage.

this. it's musical wallpaper.

it's beige

it's unsalted, unsweetened readbrek

it is dry white toast

it is emmerdale

it is terry wogan giving an hour along address about the state of the housing market, accompanied by lift music

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 12 Nov 2007, 20:37

also, i don't like the term 'over produced'. as far as i'm concerned, it can go in the same box as 'sell out'. so they've put some effort in and they're making some money. boo fucking hoo.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 12 Nov 2007, 22:57

It's a pretty important element of electronic music, how produced it is though. I don't see how you can put it with selling out. I mean, Pendulum have always been too produced. Before they were being played constantly on radio 1, they were overproduced. It's just the way it sounds, nothing to do with popularity. The only reason the two get put together is because generally more produced sounds are much more commercially accepted. Same with rock music. It's just toning it down, whether or not it appeals to a wider market or not isn't the issue.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 12 Nov 2007, 23:16

yeah i wans't really applying the term 'sell out' to pendulum, just saying it's another term i think is bullshit and overused by music snobs.

anyway, i don't consider myself a fan of electronic music at all really, i'll occasionally chuck on some hype or zinc if it's a party, but i just like what i like, i don't really care how it's made. but what i like about pendulum is the idea of the live act (not that i've seen them yet). i just find it more appealing than watching a couple of speccy blokes hiding behind a mass of decks and computers.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 12 Nov 2007, 23:43

Yeah, I do like that aspect of it too. They played here tonight with the live set up, and I was half tempted to go, but it was expensive, they didn't do much for me hearing them at Glastonbury, it seemed to lose any sort of intensity they might have had, and that new track completely uninspired me too.

I can see where you're coming from, but as you get more into it, you appreciate it a lot more. I'm like you, grew up listening to guitar based music, and I've probably been properly into electronic music for about two years now. For about the first year, I liked it, but it served a purpose. I wouldn't listen to it on my own so much, I didn't know any of the technical details about it, I couldn't appreciate what was technically good or not, I just knew what I liked and what sounded good to my ears. But you start to notice who mixes well, what tunes they drop in where, how they tease songs in, where they put the big drops, when they can sense the vibe in a place and put the right tunes on to fit them. Things like that. And with making the tunes it's very impressive. Putting a nice melody on top of a banging beat, knowing what to sample and where to put it in. Making genuinely good beats that aren't just your generic, sub-standard, rinse-out, over bassy beats. There's a massive technical element you learn to appreciate. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty and say you can't appreciate that, because maybe you can, but I know it took me a while after getting into dance music to be able to start to appreciate it. I still don't think I can on the level I can with guitar based music.

The live thing is quite impressive though, but again it's not a completely new thing. London Elektricity was doing it a few years back, and there's artists doing it now without losing any of the intensity. There's a good hip-hop/drum and bass night here on friday with Scratch Perverts and High Contrast, and an Oxford based DJ is playing a 4-deck set with a live drummer. You hear something like that, pulled off well, and it really puts what Pendulum are doing into perspective. I still think fair play to them for being able to do it, and for managed to keep a bit of integrity whilst getting the mainstream to latch on.

I don't think that's snobbery at all, I just fucking love music, and it's something I'm really passionate about. Be it rock, dance, hip-hop, jazz, reggae, dub...whatever. If it's done well, got some passion, technical ability, integrity I can appreciate it. And if I think someone's getting praise they don't deserve I'll point it out and try and justify it. At the end of the day it's all down to opinion, and I'm not going to hold it against someone if they disagree with me, but I might as well chuck in my two pennys worth.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 13 Nov 2007, 16:29

Need i remind anyone that on the live score Roni size was the live drum and bass thing ten years ago exactly. I also must state that i wasn't ever trying to get on anyone's case. Electronic music by and large takes up a lot of my listening time. Considering that i create it as well, i just have an ear for what people are doing. I really do love it if i can't figure something out (not all of the time i hasten to add). Pendulum i can figure out very easily. Plus it is not a sound that works for me in particular.

Another rambling mess.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 29 May 2008, 22:08

well i didn't like the latest single (propane nightmares), but i got the album anyway and it's not too bad. there are some filler tracks, but i like most of it. 'the tempest' is a stonker. even the aforementioned single sounds alright played loud on half decent speakers.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 30 May 2008, 09:00

I liked that single.
I like the album, nice and dark. Wont last long on my playlist though, no depth.
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 30 May 2008, 09:16

yeah I actually thought propane nightmares was a mild improvement on their normal crap. they did rip a chord progression off from a muse song though.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 30 May 2008, 09:56

it's a big departure from 'hold your colour'. much darker, there's a hint of nin/stabbing westward type stuff in places. you can tell they've made this album to be played live.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 30 May 2008, 10:40

i dunno, it's even more heavily produced than the older stuff. everything's just bloody compressed and mastered to make it sound good on the radio these days. it's so dead. X(

i don't dig the NIN comparison at all personally.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 30 May 2008, 21:04

Propane nightmares is emo shit with a generic d'n'b beat underneath it. Hmmmm, oh well. It's doing some good for the scene I suppose.

Saxamamonkey
Slug
Slug

Post by Saxamamonkey » 31 May 2008, 14:14

sounds like some bizzare euro-band. WHAT ridiculous/embarassing press shots as well...

Over produced just means poorly produced IF you ask me. Like when things sound expensive. Too much compression and pitch correction, complicated delay and perfect vocal tracks. Lifeless.

So really, not produced enough. Like the foals album. Sounds like an engineer has done it. No direction, no sound.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 02 Jun 2008, 09:04

Saxamamonkey wrote:
Over produced just means poorly produced IF you ask me. Like when things sound expensive. Too much compression and pitch correction, complicated delay and perfect vocal tracks. Lifeless.

So really, not produced enough. Like the foals album. Sounds like an engineer has done it. No direction, no sound.

i.e. good production is that which you don't notice.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 03 Jun 2008, 19:55

(this should grind some gears)

'the tempest' reminds me of tool.

Chris
Snail
Snail

Post by Chris » 03 Jun 2008, 20:07

I would just like to add in here that over-produced does not equate to toning down. Look at Queen - ridiculously overproduced studio albums, but without a doubt the best band ever to grace the face of the Earth (if destroyed still true).

all_against_all
Wannabe Slug
Wannabe Slug

Post by all_against_all » 03 Jun 2008, 21:46

I really liked propane nightmares actually, as much as i wanted to hate it because slam was disgustingly overplayed EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Checking out some other tracks on myspace, is alright if you ask me. Branching out to be a bit more dance/rock than just drum and bass or whatever, and to be honest most bands who mix beats and rock/metal stylings just sound like a shitty baggy trousered nightmare.
Also, overproduced overproshmsushed.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 04 Jun 2008, 08:38

Chris wrote:I would just like to add in here that over-produced does not equate to toning down.

Someone said that?

Saxamamonkey
Slug
Slug

Post by Saxamamonkey » 04 Jun 2008, 13:00

i think queen's stuff is over produced... but i really don't rate them at ALL. i ackowledge their significance and all that, but it's a bit silly for me.