Dubstep

hiphop, alternative, ragga, drum and bass, jungle, triphop, dub, reggae... + any other music style

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Dubstep

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 25 Oct 2007, 16:54

I always thought was far too slow, had nothing to it and only appealed to Ketamine fiends. Now I've actually realised it's really good. On a proper good sound system with heavy bass it's pretty awesome. I saw Skream last night and although I was looking that way before, I'm now definately converted.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Re: Dubstep

Post by metal_dave » 25 Oct 2007, 19:11

i don't really have much to contribute to this thread, seeing as i don't know what dubstep is. but i just felt i had to say that without me and tomaroundtheworld, this section of the forum would be pretty dead.

anti anti
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by anti anti » 26 Oct 2007, 13:29

could you recomend some bands/artists? dont belive ive heard any of this stuff yet.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 26 Oct 2007, 14:13

Yeah, true Dave. Sometimes I just post pretty pointless things on here to see if they get a reaction.

The undisputed king of Dubstep is Skream. Try to find a mix or something of his. The problem with Dubstep is that much more so than any other type of music, it sounds less than half as good when it's not being pumped out of an amazing system. It's all about the pounding bass. And it's a grower. It's very slow, and quite minimal. I never liked it at first but I kept hearing odd bits and it kept sounded better and better. If you like slow and dirty music then you might like it. If you're partial to a bit of ket though, you'll probably love it!

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 31 Oct 2007, 16:31

loadsa sub innit

i like it

i like ketamine too. mad professor + k at sugar hill this year was one of the best things ever.

yeah i know mad p isn't dubstep before anyone points that out. he did play funky house dub though at one point. that confused the hippies.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 31 Oct 2007, 18:55

Ok, there is a really good album by a guy called Burial. It's self titled. It should be easy to get. It's like home listening dubstep. Also there is another one i like by Kode 9 and Spaceape which is also very good. Check them out.
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 31 Oct 2007, 23:44

chippy wrote:loadsa sub innit

i like it

i like ketamine too. mad professor + k at sugar hill this year was one of the best things ever.

yeah i know mad p isn't dubstep before anyone points that out. he did play funky house dub though at one point. that confused the hippies.

It was a beautiful moment.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 01 Nov 2007, 11:40

that whole festival was a beautiful moment. i wanna go back.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 01 Nov 2007, 17:15

The amazing vomit stain wrote:Ok, there is a really good album by a guy called Burial. It's self titled. It should be easy to get. It's like home listening dubstep. Also there is another one i like by Kode 9 and Spaceape which is also very good. Check them out.

Burial is just about to relase his second album aswell. Definately an aquired taste but I love it. I love how illusive he is. Apparently outside his family only about 5 people know who he is. He's had people coming up to him saying that they know Burial and that they're female.I really like that side of him. Musically it's a bit different but pretty awesome still. The way he puts it, is that it's music for the comedown pretty much. When you're at the end of the night chilling, having a smoke, playing some playstation, chatting etc. It's atmospheric and moody, not just slow dubby and bassy. I just love some of the sounds in it. And the thing about Dubstep is it isn't just the music, It's the silences and how minimal it is that makes it too.

Kode9 is wicked too, but as far as putting names to dubstep goes, I'm pretty much limited to Burial, Skream and Kode9.

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 02 Nov 2007, 02:36

Yeah i am still dipping my toe in as well.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 02 Nov 2007, 11:28

i dip my willy in it

The amazing vomit stain
Slug
Slug

Post by The amazing vomit stain » 04 Nov 2007, 02:37

You always have to take it too far. One day it'll get lopped off. You'll regret it then! :roll:
Well I could call out when the going gets tough
The things that we learned are no longer enough
No language just sound is all we need know
To synchronize love to the beat of the show

ThomW
Slug Trainee
Slug Trainee

Post by ThomW » 04 Nov 2007, 18:22

Check out the new Bug tune with Flow Dan (it's called skeng)

myspace.com/thebuguk

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 14 Nov 2007, 23:45

http://www.newmixes.com/skream_-_essent ... -2007.html

That mix ThomW posted a while ago is well worth getting for anyone who might be interested in getting into Dubstep. Some of the drops in there are fucking unbelievable. I can't believe I dismissed Dubstep for so long. Fucking quality.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 15 Nov 2007, 13:20

get some stuff by stench or cotti. Bangers.

past+future=present
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by past+future=present » 19 Nov 2007, 15:33

Ive got various bits and pieces of dubstep tis good . theres a monthly dubstep nite in Reading at cafe du sport wich is in the centre of town opposite burger king next to the sugar lounge strip club , the nite is run by 3.5 recods and 2nd drop if you wanna come check some out nice soundsystem to . also fader fader and hash money who play for beatfeast crew both spins loads of dubstep at beatfeast events next one 15th december @ global cafe wich is also gonna be a fundraiser for Reading single persons homeless persons charity.
there's no rehab for incest

past+future=present
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by past+future=present » 19 Nov 2007, 15:36

chippy wrote:
mad p he did play funky house dub though at one point. that confused the hippies.

it upset me as it was totally shite like wtf are you doing mad prof
there's no rehab for incest

J.D
Cool Slug
Cool Slug

Post by J.D » 23 Nov 2007, 20:30

Bass Clef is a dubstep artist well worth a look at. Saw him the other day, it was wonderment.
Hustler Newbury punkers http://www.hustlerband.tk

Dannnn
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Dannnn » 04 Jan 2008, 17:40

Dubstep's well good. I like the fact that it can be both relaxing and upbeat at the same time. Plus the heavy bass. Lush. I'm sure it is brill with ket, too. :P

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 04 Jan 2008, 18:39

Plastician is playing in Oxford at the end of January.

And Skream is doing a night at the Academy on the 8th Feb too. Not sure about the whole lineup yet as it's not been announced, but Cyantific is playing too, and there's probably going to be some big name dance act headlining it. Sounds swell :headphones:

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 19 Jan 2008, 13:25

tom you should check out the caspa & rusko fabriclive, thats a good set.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 19 Jan 2008, 19:29

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:And Skream is doing a night at the Academy on the 8th Feb too. Not sure about the whole lineup yet as it's not been announced, but Cyantific is playing too, and there's probably going to be some big name dance act headlining it. Sounds swell :headphones:

I forgot about mentioning this. Hype and Benga and Task Force too. Should be an amazing night.

Also Coop, thanks for the recommendation. I'll get on it.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 20 Jan 2008, 00:55

check out fish biscuit and botulism. good stuff.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 20 Jan 2008, 01:00

also, scunge bag, fisty and slippy tits.

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 21 Jan 2008, 09:05

meta

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 31 Jan 2008, 12:03

Plastician smashed it last night :)

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 16 Feb 2009, 23:01

I thought dubstep would start to run out of ideas pretty quickly, but it's seemed to evolve really well. It's kind of split into a few different types now. I love tracks like Japan and Cockney Violin - melodic tracks with a deep bassline, filthy horrible tracks, and there's a lot with emphasis on the "dub" of dubstep too. I'm far from bored of it.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 16 Feb 2009, 23:08

Plastician is technically one of the best DJ's around at the moment. I've got a 4-deck mix he did on Rinse FM and it's hectic shit. You should check out Sub FM, particularly the Afterdark sets. You can get them as podcasts off iTunes and they're all brilliant. You can get loads of good sets off dubstep forum too. If you like Skream you can get all his old Stella session mixes from Rinse FM as well as loads of other quality mixes. :headphones:

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 16 Feb 2009, 23:28

The Rinse FM podcasts I got for a while just pissed me off. Some great tunes, but most of them don't fucking shut up. N-Type is the worst I'm sure - as sick a DJ as he is. And rewinds on a radio show are especially stupid.

I've been cooling down getting sets at the moment, purely because I'm sick of having a lot of music without knowing what it is. And if I ever get any money together I'm going to get a set of CDJs for sure. I'd never be off them. Probably mostly be doing house but I'm loving dubstep too. Before we went out on friday I only had a laptop and tried to master the art of Youtube mixing. It's something we've been doing for a while but I got it working better than ever on friday. You can't beatmatch so there's obviously a lot of luck involved, but when it sort of works it's brilliant.