Metallica - The Day That Never Comes

Black, Death & Heavy Metal + anything similar Rock etc....

Moderators: Moderators, Music Moderators

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Metallica - The Day That Never Comes

Post by fotch » 22 Aug 2008, 14:15

Heard it on Zane Lowe's show last night. Dare I say it, a return to form?
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

lcfmademedoit
Snail
Snail

Re: Metallica - The Day That Never Comes

Post by lcfmademedoit » 22 Aug 2008, 16:23

It's pretty all over the place, but by no means completely shit.

I'm sure the album will have some shockingly bad stuff.
'Don't laugh Lynn, you've broken your neck'

Chris
Snail
Snail

Post by Chris » 24 Aug 2008, 11:04

I'm not sure how I feel about this. To me it basically sounds like Fade To Black re-recorded to fit in with the Load and Reload albums. The old-school-Ride-The-Lightning vibe that they're going for with the clean guitars and intro guitar solo kinda suffers when it doesn't have sufficient ambience and echo to make it sound more haunting. Maybe it'll grow on me, because the actual music is certainly not bad.... I think it just sounds a bit overproduced for the style that they're playing.

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 25 Aug 2008, 14:26

I quite like it, i do agree it sounds a bit Fade To Black esque and also reminds me a bit of 'To Live Is To Die' but all in all I have faith that the new album will at least have some merit on it!

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 13 Sep 2008, 02:05

Anyone actually got this album yet? I'm trying to get it off iTunes now, but it keeps saying that it's being modified and I should try again later, I've clicked it like 4 times. Hope they haven't charged me ?(

Just fast read all the 73 reviews of it on iTunes as well, and EVERYONE gave it either 4 or 5. Sounds promising.

phillip_banks
Snail
Snail

Post by phillip_banks » 13 Sep 2008, 13:48

Apparently there was an issue with the way the album was sequenced/mastered which only caused problems when buying the album from itunes or summat. That's probably why.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 14 Sep 2008, 14:02

under_a_serpent_sun wrote:Anyone actually got this album yet? I'm trying to get it off iTunes now, but it keeps saying that it's being modified and I should try again later, I've clicked it like 4 times. Hope they haven't charged me ?(

Just fast read all the 73 reviews of it on iTunes as well, and EVERYONE gave it either 4 or 5. Sounds promising.

I got it off Itunes a couple of days ago, no problems here :scratch:
Tucker's Law

"If some cunt can fuck something up that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up 'cause that cunt's a cunt."

all_against_all
Wannabe Slug
Wannabe Slug

Post by all_against_all » 15 Sep 2008, 08:31

So it's still shit though, right?

A track was played on the speakers whilst i was in zavvi, didn't seem brilliant. Was nice to hear the harmonised guitars of old but you just know that they will have tried so hard to please people with this album and making it sound like old school Metallica. I'm not trying to dislike it but what i've heard seems so contrived. And that Rob Trujillo guy is a total wanker.

filsatan
Slug With Mates
Slug With Mates

Post by filsatan » 15 Sep 2008, 13:45

Not heard it yet! Everyone pretty much has said it kicks arse though, everyone that has properly listened to the Album that is.

Does it matter if Rob Trujillo is a dick? Why is he a dick anyway?
He is a great presence on stage and a great bass player, you probably wont have to go out for drinks with him.
"Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

http://www.myspace.com/filsatan
http://www.myspace.com/luckysixxuk

all_against_all
Wannabe Slug
Wannabe Slug

Post by all_against_all » 15 Sep 2008, 15:06

He used to do that stupid stomping about the place like he was the Incredible Hulk and then i saw them on BBC3 for Reading festival and he span around and around with his bass horizontal to him next to his outstretched arm and it's just like 'What the fuck are you doing?'. It makes him look like a moron and all that stuff totally cheapens them, Metallica were never jesters.

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 15 Sep 2008, 15:07

I was expecting this album to be either complete fucking garbage, or an awesome event in music history...but I'm not sure if I like it or not. The lyrics are pretty diabolical in places, and the drumming is a bit boring and repetitive, Hetfields voice has definitely improved a great deal since St. Anger but doesn't have the same effortless gravel that it did back in the 80's.

The rest of the music sounds great, Hetfields riffs are more aggressive than ever, and Kirk seems to be playing a lot more and the harmonising works fucking well. I can't seem to hear much of the base at all which is a bit disappointing. But it all seems a little contrived. It's like a Metallica cover band releasing an album of their own material. I think its a good album, and definitely should be released, but probably about 10 years ago. As a huge Metallica fan I find this hard to say, but with bands like Lamb of God, Slipknot and Children of Bodom, is there room for Metallica's new stuff?

Discuss
Happy now? :'-(

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 15 Sep 2008, 15:27

I reckon the album is a firm mixture of good and alright. Anyone else notice the clipping?

Web Of Piss
Wannabe Snail
Wannabe Snail

Post by Web Of Piss » 15 Sep 2008, 20:05

It's....alright, I need to listen to it more first though, but this is certainly the album they should have made after 'Metallica'. Some of the songs are proper Metallica, some sound a bit off and somewhat basic, as I say I need more listens.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads.
- Scott Vogel

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 16 Sep 2008, 14:01

Metallica seem to be one of those bands, where careless of what they do, it'll be dissected to fuck.

all_against_all
Wannabe Slug
Wannabe Slug

Post by all_against_all » 17 Sep 2008, 08:15

To be fair though i think they are ripping off Trivium a bit.

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 19 Sep 2008, 16:31

OK, All Nightmare Long is fucking awesome, best Metallica track in years, instant classic :-)
Happy now? :'-(

under_a_serpent_sun
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by under_a_serpent_sun » 30 Sep 2008, 14:17

all_against_all wrote:To be fair though i think they are ripping off Trivium a bit.

What happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 30 Sep 2008, 15:43

Even if it is a return to form, I've not even had the smallest temptation to give it a go. I don't know why though really. I guess I totally gave up all hope for Metallica after St Anger.

Web Of Piss
Wannabe Snail
Wannabe Snail

Post by Web Of Piss » 30 Sep 2008, 17:10

You should give it a shot Tom, I think they have acknowledged that St Anger was an expieriment that failed.
Take care of each other out there. everyone here is my brother, let's make sure everybody goes home safe. Alright, let's stomp some heads.
- Scott Vogel

Chris
Snail
Snail

Post by Chris » 30 Sep 2008, 23:00

Right, to get it out the way.... whoever it was that said Rob is a cunt, you CANNOT have based that opinion on anything at all... the reason being that he's pretty much the nicest fucking guy in metal.

Anyway, Death Magnetic. It's amazing. the production is exactly what it needs to be. They've incorporated their experiences from St. Anger back into what they do best... which is riff for 5+ minutes. Broken, Beat & Scarred ranks up there as one of the best Metallica songs written I feel. And the instrumental... fuck me.... at the end when they switch it down a tone.... my nipples explode with delight.

This isn't a 'nice work Metallica, you've made an album worthy of your name' album. It's a 'calm it, you didn't have to go THAT far... you've just gone and surpassed everything you've done since Justice' album.

Infact I'm going to put my balls out there and state that this album is better than Justice. Bring it.

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 30 Sep 2008, 23:06

all_against_all wrote:He used to do that stupid stomping about the place like he was the Incredible Hulk and then i saw them on BBC3 for Reading festival and he span around and around with his bass horizontal to him next to his outstretched arm and it's just like 'What the fuck are you doing?'. It makes him look like a moron and all that stuff totally cheapens them, Metallica were never jesters.

At the end of the day he's got some serious skills and that's all that matters.

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 30 Sep 2008, 23:13

THOM wrote:
all_against_all wrote:He used to do that stupid stomping about the place like he was the Incredible Hulk and then i saw them on BBC3 for Reading festival and he span around and around with his bass horizontal to him next to his outstretched arm and it's just like 'What the fuck are you doing?'. It makes him look like a moron and all that stuff totally cheapens them, Metallica were never jesters.

seconded. he can do what he wants, he's in metallica.

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 30 Sep 2008, 23:17

Chris wrote:
This isn't a 'nice work Metallica, you've made an album worthy of your name' album. It's a 'calm it, you didn't have to go THAT far... you've just gone and surpassed everything you've done since Justice' album.

Infact I'm going to put my balls out there and state that this album is better than Justice. Bring it.

Hmmm I definitely wouldn't go this far. It's definitely the album they should've done long before this but for me I don't find the songwriting to be as good as Justice. Just from listening to it I can kinda sense that Rick Rubin did leave them very much to their own devices as I think if they'd had a more hands on producer these songs would've sounded a lot more polished, there would have been more embellishments and some of the songs would probably have been shortened. As it is it still seems to me that there's an essence of what they were doing on St Anger here but it has been combined to some extent to the long jamming sections on Justice and some of their earlier albums

All in all though it's a decent album and has some great songs on it and despite a few patchy moments Metallica have done a good job at getting back to their roots and reinventing themselves in a way.

THOM
Snail With Mates
Snail With Mates

Post by THOM » 30 Sep 2008, 23:18

metal_dave wrote:
THOM wrote:

seconded. he can do what he wants, he's in metallica.

Listen to anything he did when he was in Infectious Grooves and Suicidal Tendencies and it'll heavily highlight how good he actually is.

CerpinTaxt
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by CerpinTaxt » 01 Oct 2008, 08:26

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 01 Oct 2008, 08:27

oh no he's got silly hair. that's not almost synonymous with rock music or anything.

fotch
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by fotch » 01 Oct 2008, 10:13

Quality of haircut is always the first thing I look for in a band tbh.
Tucker's Law

CerpinTaxt
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by CerpinTaxt » 01 Oct 2008, 10:25

What's wrong with his hair? I quite like it.