Supplements.

anything really, or stuff that won't fit elsewhere. this is for "post whores".

Moderator: Moderators

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Re: Supplements.

Post by elliott » 28 Feb 2008, 17:00

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:
chippy wrote:I take 5-HTP occasionally as a general mood booster, to get over comedowns, or occasionally as a sleep aid. It's good stuff.

I take 5-HTP regularly. Even if it's more of a psychological thing than a physical thing I notice a difference.

I used take 5-HTP but haven't in ages and I too noticed the difference. However I'm generally in a pretty good mood most the time so don't bother with it. I take multivits when i can be bothered to open the cupboard and get one which tends to be once every day or two.

garymcnally
Snail
Snail

Post by garymcnally » 28 Feb 2008, 17:08

Because I've been a vegetarian since I was a kid, but I was sick of being a skinny bitch, I started taking protein supplements about 6 months ago. I only take them when I havn't been able to scrounge the right ammount from my natural diet, which unfortunately is all too often.

Obviously if you don't work out at all you'll just piss it all out, but its good stuff :-)

As for multi vitimins, they're not a con, but they're not nearly as good as getting fresh fruit and veg inside you. And as has already been stated, taking your days worth in one shot is retarded, its got to be spread out over the entire day.

You can get really anal about things like one of my flat mates does, and make sure you eat iron and vitimin C in VERY specific ammounts with a VERY specific ratio of carbs at VERY specific times in the day...but thats boring as fuck.
Happy now? :'-(

kat
Ameoba of Satan
Ameoba of Satan

Post by kat » 28 Feb 2008, 18:52

I think supplements are a good idea if you know there's something lacking from your diet for whatever reason or you know you are likely to have issues with some illness. I used to take multivitimins when I was younger, as my diet was rubbish and I had a tiny appetite.

If you're eating a good balanced diet then you're probably ok. I don't know a lot about all this, but the 5-HTP tablets interest me. I wish I was better at science, but what I picked up from a recent lecture on serotonin is that to get the best out of the tryptophan in your diet, you should eat lots of carbs with some proteins. One day I'll learn how all this works properly!

I eat a LOT of garlic. I don't think I need any supplements for that!

Alka
Snail Trainee
Snail Trainee

Post by Alka » 28 Feb 2008, 19:04

What does garlic even do? Apart from make things taste yum, obviously.
I gave up morals when I took up booze

metal_dave
Snail God
Snail God

Post by metal_dave » 28 Feb 2008, 19:57

Alka wrote:What does garlic even do? Apart from make things taste yum, obviously.

thins the blood i think, helps circualtion and whatnot.

although i may have made that up.

Lord_Blacknose
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Lord_Blacknose » 28 Feb 2008, 20:01

Everything gives you cancer these days.
IT'S NOT MY IMAGINATION THERE'S A GUN IN MY BACK

kat
Ameoba of Satan
Ameoba of Satan

Post by kat » 28 Feb 2008, 20:30

I know garlic's good for the heart, but not sure if it's useful for anything else. Yummy.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 28 Feb 2008, 20:45

Yeah, I just thought people took garlic supplements to keep a healthy heart.

Favourite Ginge
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by Favourite Ginge » 28 Feb 2008, 20:56

filsatan wrote:Very nice, but I said multivitamins.

Ha ha, I only just noticed I'd only picked out vitamin D related studies - my bad!

I was only going off what I've been told in lectures, but I still don't think taking a mulitvitamin is any more likely to give you cancer. For starters, this link
filsatan wrote:http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/archive/newsarchive/2007/may/18160880
focuses on men who take more than 7 multivitamins a week, which you shouldn't do anyway. I also think you'd agree that it's not that difficult to find an article (or few) to back up pretty much any point you want to make:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9758570
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/15/scivit115.xml
Although I don't actually think multivits reduce your cancer risk that much either, just that they don't cause it.

Like you said, nothing's ever conclusive.

Garlic's got something to do with lowering cholesterol I think.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 29 Feb 2008, 05:41

What do you study out of interest? Nutrition?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 29 Feb 2008, 09:05

kat wrote:If you're eating a good balanced diet then you're probably ok. I don't know a lot about all this, but the 5-HTP tablets interest me. I wish I was better at science, but what I picked up from a recent lecture on serotonin is that to get the best out of the tryptophan in your diet, you should eat lots of carbs with some proteins. One day I'll learn how all this works properly!

Basically it goes Trytophan -> 5-HTP -> Serotonin. i.e. anything you eat with trytophan in, your body has to process through two stages to make serotonin. So by taking 5-HTP you're essentially missing out that first step and making the job a lot easier on yourself. I like it because it doesn't mess too much with your system the way an SSRI does, but instead just gives you brain large quantities of the material needed to sort itself out.

Pre-loading with it for a few days before taking MDMA makes the come-up a lot better for me, and then taking it for a week or two afterwards as well virtually eliminates the comedown. That said, I very rarely take drugs anymore and now mostly use it occasionally to combat winter blues.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 29 Feb 2008, 09:15

The foods with trytophan in only produce very small amounts of 5-HTP aswell don't they? I know there's no food you can really eat to get a decent dose anyway. I'm not even sure what food you can find it in. I think turkey does, but as you well know Chippy I'm not likely to be getting my dose from that.

It seems to have a lot of uses too. The thing that perplexes me is that I've heard that it's occasionally used as a sleep aid, and one of the side effects can be insomnia. How does that work?

chippy
Snail Of Satan
Snail Of Satan

Post by chippy » 29 Feb 2008, 09:20

That's right, only small amounts of trytophan. Cheese is another good source, which is why it's reputed to give you nightmares. Dunno about the insomnia thing. It helps me get off to sleep, but that could be psychosomatic. On the other hand, it causes me fucking intense dreams, which can cause me to wake in the night. But I usually feel quite refreshed from my sleep after taking it. The presence of trytophan in turkey is supposedly responsible for causing people to doze off after a big roast dinner.
Image They reckon one day you'll be able to wake up and eat a yoghurt you can have a conversation with.

Tomaroundtheworld
Cool Snail
Cool Snail

Post by Tomaroundtheworld » 29 Feb 2008, 09:23

I never take mine before bed. And I've never noticed it have any sort of effect on how tired or awake I am. I might take some before I go to sleep today to test out the crazy dream theory.

Favourite Ginge
Amoeba With Mates
Amoeba With Mates

Post by Favourite Ginge » 01 Mar 2008, 00:54

Tomaroundtheworld wrote:What do you study out of interest? Nutrition?

Biomedical Sciences. Some bits are quite interesting, but the most part is not very exciting.

kat
Ameoba of Satan
Ameoba of Satan

Post by kat » 01 Mar 2008, 08:37

Yeah, very small amounts of tryptophan are found in bananas, turkey, etc. I believe researchers decided it was more to do with being full after a big roast dinner than the typtophan that makes you sleepy. Serotonin is involved in the regulation of sleep, so I can see why messing with this system could affect your sleep patterns. To get the benefit of tryptophan from your diet it's more to do with the high carb, low protein thing, although it isn't in carbs. This is something to do with different amino acids competing to get to the brain. It's been suggested that this is why people on the Atkin's diet are grumpy.

kat
Ameoba of Satan
Ameoba of Satan

Post by kat » 01 Mar 2008, 08:44

Also, did anyone see that appauling 'experiment' they did on the BBC (One Show?) last night looking at Omega supplements? It was stupid on so many levels.

elliott
Snail Brother
Snail Brother

Post by elliott » 09 Apr 2009, 17:09

lcfmademedoit wrote:I take multivitimains with pro biotic in, caffeine pills as i hate coffee, sometimes take carb blockers depending on when/if i've been to the gym.

Also creatine and nitric oxide pills for faster muscle recovery all that and the occasional glucos sulphate tablet for joints.

Not too far off my general supplementation for the gym at the moment

I take a multivit, a neutral acid whey protein, none of this flavoured stuff with sweetners, just chuck some skimmed milk, a yogurt, a banana and it tastes don. Some amino acids. And essential fatty acids through a decent fishy diet.

I've been contemplating creatine for a while, do you cycle it, and if so, how long? and how's your general experience with it been? I took it for several weeks and noticed a very slight increase in muscle ATP storage cuz could push out a few more reps, but I'm not sure how much value it will really add to the workout long term. I always have a spotter with me aswell which really helps.

Make sure it's a decent creatine supplement aswell, myprotein is meant to provide decent ones, apparently the ones from holland and barratt and really bad for muscle water retention. I've just watched a friend of mine go on a month break off one of their creatine products and his muscle mass has declined considerably.

chippy wrote:That's right, only small amounts of trytophan. Cheese is another good source, which is why it's reputed to give you nightmares. Dunno about the insomnia thing. It helps me get off to sleep, but that could be psychosomatic. On the other hand, it causes me fucking intense dreams, which can cause me to wake in the night. But I usually feel quite refreshed from my sleep after taking it. The presence of trytophan in turkey is supposedly responsible for causing people to doze off after a big roast dinner.

If a take tryptophan or 5-HTP before bed, not only am i out like a light, but i get the most intense, vivid dreams ever